Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default installing a gas hob

We have got a really old phillips gas hob with an electric mains supply
spark ignition that has failed. To try to get at it, it looks like i'm
going to have to lift the whole shebang out.

If its all got to come out, i may as well fit a new one since its really old
and battered.

I see john lewis do a zanussi stainless steel hob for £89 but it always
seems out of stock. The next cheapest one they do is another zanussi hob at
£139, so i guess i'll go
for that?

Presumably if the copper pipe connection is in the same location at the
back, installing a new hob is simply a question of reconnecting the copper
pipe and the electrics for the spark; would you say?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john royce" wrote in message
We have got a really old phillips gas hob with an electric mains supply
spark ignition that has failed. To try to get at it, it looks like i'm
going to have to lift the whole shebang out.

If its all got to come out, i may as well fit a new one since its really
old and battered.

I see john lewis do a zanussi stainless steel hob for £89 but it always
seems out of stock. The next cheapest one they do is another zanussi hob
at £139, so i guess i'll go
for that?

Presumably if the copper pipe connection is in the same location at the
back, installing a new hob is simply a question of reconnecting the copper
pipe and the electrics for the spark; would you say?

Is this your £89 one. They appear to have 14 in stock.
http://tinyurl.com/yfcotp6
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith W" wrote in message

"john royce" wrote in message
[...]

Keith it is, thanks. I searched for it a couple of days ago and couldn't
find it... I must be loosing my mind!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john royce wrote:

Presumably if the copper pipe connection is in the same location at the
back, installing a new hob is simply a question of reconnecting the copper
pipe and the electrics for the spark; would you say?

No, there's no guarantee the gas connection will be in exactly the same
position. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was. It may be reasonably
close, but almost certainly not close enough. You ( or another
'competent person' ) will almost certainly need to make minor
adjustments to the piping.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ron Lowe writes:
john royce wrote:

Presumably if the copper pipe connection is in the same location at the
back, installing a new hob is simply a question of reconnecting the copper
pipe and the electrics for the spark; would you say?

No, there's no guarantee the gas connection will be in exactly the same
position. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was. It may be reasonably
close, but almost certainly not close enough. You ( or another
'competent person' ) will almost certainly need to make minor
adjustments to the piping.

You need to check the instructions, to ensure it can be fitted
exactly where the old one was (clearance of overhead cupboards,
room size and ventilation, etc).

Also, the worktop cutout may not be the same (and you may need
to move it because of overhead cupboards).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
john royce wrote:

Presumably if the copper pipe connection is in the same location at
the back, installing a new hob is simply a question of reconnecting
the copper pipe and the electrics for the spark; would you say?

No, there's no guarantee the gas connection will be in exactly the
same position. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was. It may be
reasonably close, but almost certainly not close enough. You ( or
another 'competent person' ) will almost certainly need to make minor
adjustments to the piping.

We had a gas leak in our cupboard below our gas hob. The only way I could
get good access to isolate the leak was to removed the hob. Turned out that
the "professional" fitter had only done the threaded elbow connector to the
hob finger tight.

Don'tcha just love professionals?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:35:44 +0100, Tim wrote:

We had a gas leak in our cupboard below our gas hob. The only way I
could get good access to isolate the leak was to removed the hob.
Turned out that the "professional" fitter had only done the threaded
elbow connector to the hob finger tight.

Don'tcha just love professionals?

Tim

I trust you reported it to Gas Safe or CORGI, and that it got passed on to
the HSE as a RIDDOR.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I've got nothing against racists - I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one

Installing a GFI Mitch@_._ Home Repair 11 February 12th 08 04:34 PM
Installing a hob Bob Martin UK diy 9 August 10th 06 07:41 PM
installing a shower - how much ?? NC UK diy 4 January 16th 06 10:37 PM
Installing bar sink in basement, need advice/help on installing drain in concrete Randall2n Home Repair 8 December 29th 03 04:20 PM
Installing Tub Rich Anderson Home Repair 1 July 6th 03 01:07 AM