Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The revolution has started!

Dave wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:25:10 +0100,
had this to say:

The thing with WD40 is I agree its not designed for large
components and mainly we used it on small mechanisms and you used
nearly half a can mainly as flushing agent, but it does work as a
lubricant.

How can a 'flushing agent' also act as a lubricant? The idea of a
lubricant is that it forms a coating on the working surfaces - a
'flushing agent' removes any coatings.

It may appear to lubricate short term, but that's just because it's
wetting the surfaces - water would probably be just as effective.

Practical experience would suggest otherwise though. In non demanding
applications it lubricates well enough - e.g. a squeaking hinge will
stop squeaking for a couple of years, before it needs another quick
squirt. I am sure water would not have the same effect.

The clutch pedal on my car squeaks when I lift my foot up. I took it
to the garage and they sprayed it with, you guessed, WD40. 9 months
later, it started to squeak again. Next week, I am going to take it
back again with the *lubricant* of my own choice. ** either
mollypaul, or an Aeroshell grease.

So, a single squirt of a product you claim isn't a lubricant, costing a
couple of quid, stopped a squeak for 9 months?

My feeling on WD40 and the extreme dissing it gets around here is;

1) Its American - & us Brits can't stand that.
2) Its hugely successful - and us Brits can't stand that.
3) Its sold by Americans who are not shy when it comes to marketing - and us
Brits can't stand that.

Imagine if a product as versatile & useful as WD40 had been invented in
England in 1953.

The marketing would have been; " I say chaps, this stuff is rather good
actually. Not saying its perfect of course, but overall its not too bad
really". And they would have put a small advert in the Exchange & Mart.

And it would have died a death. Because. although we are prolly the most
inventive race on the planet, we are complete crap at marketing.

Face it; It's sold in 180+ countries worldwide and they sell $216.8 million
(£140+ million) worth a year.

And thats all down to the clever marketing of a product that either doesn't
work or actually causes problems?

And all those customers are stupid?

Get real. Wake up & smell the coffee. Its incredibly successful because it
actually works.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:51:49 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

So, a single squirt of a product you claim isn't a lubricant, costing a
couple of quid, stopped a squeak for 9 months?

Use of a proper lubricant for the job would have solved the problem
full stop not just for 9 months.

And thats all down to the clever marketing of a product that either
doesn't work or actually causes problems?

And all those customers are stupid?

Not stupid, just taken in by the marketing. Most people believe
marketing without looking behind the "facts" quoted or doing their
own research.

It's a "quick fix" but not the best one in most cases.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

WD40 has been used for years as penetrating AND lubricating

Snake oil.

It doesn't do what it says on the tin for very long.
Oversold ****, in other words.
You can get exactly the same pentrant and lubricant action by making up
a spray bottle of a gob of engine oil with diesel.
The ONLY thing WD40 does well is act as a moisture dispersant,
temporarily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC
saying something like:

Graphite powder is good, but puffing into the lock tends to over-egg the
pudding somewhat and then that gets everywhere (your hands, your face,
up your nose, etc).

That could possibly be carried with some sort of liquid, same as PTFE.

Graphite-inna-vaporating-carrier aerosols have been around for years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Face it; It's sold in 180+ countries worldwide and they sell $216.8 million
(£140+ million) worth a year.

And thats all down to the clever marketing of a product that either doesn't
work or actually causes problems?

Oversold, overhyped and over here.

And all those customers are stupid?

Yes. For uncritically accepting the hype.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave
saying something like:

I fail to see how a penetrating fluid can also act as a lubricant...

Imagine using Diesel as a lubricant :-)

I do.

It works better than paraffin. Millions of injector pumps can testify
so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Face it; It's sold in 180+ countries worldwide and they sell $216.8
million (£140+ million) worth a year.

And thats all down to the clever marketing of a product that either
doesn't work or actually causes problems?

Oversold, overhyped and over here.

And all those customers are stupid?

Yes. For uncritically accepting the hype.

But, horror of horrors - it might have succeeded - because it works?

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

WD40 has been used for years as penetrating AND lubricating

Snake oil.

It doesn't do what it says on the tin for very long.
Oversold ****, in other words.
You can get exactly the same pentrant and lubricant action by making
up a spray bottle of a gob of engine oil with diesel.
The ONLY thing WD40 does well is act as a moisture dispersant,
temporarily.

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you innit?

Hmmmm. Yale v unknown newsgroup person.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:44:21 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

WD40 has been used for years as penetrating AND lubricating

Snake oil.

It doesn't do what it says on the tin for very long. Oversold ****, in
other words.
You can get exactly the same pentrant and lubricant action by making up
a spray bottle of a gob of engine oil with diesel. The ONLY thing WD40
does well is act as a moisture dispersant, temporarily.

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you
innit?

Hmmmm. Yale v unknown newsgroup person.

Vested interest in gumming up locks...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:44:21 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
The ONLY thing WD40 does well is act as a moisture dispersant,
temporarily.

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you innit?

Hmmmm. Yale v unknown newsgroup person.

I'm just glad they don't have Yale locks here... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct 2009 23:58:10 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with

you
innit?

Vested interest in gumming up locks...

Or one marketing department believing the puff of another marketing
department.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:44:21 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

WD40 has been used for years as penetrating AND lubricating
Snake oil.

It doesn't do what it says on the tin for very long. Oversold ****,
in other words.
You can get exactly the same pentrant and lubricant action by
making up a spray bottle of a gob of engine oil with diesel. The
ONLY thing WD40 does well is act as a moisture dispersant,
temporarily.

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you
innit?

Hmmmm. Yale v unknown newsgroup person.

Vested interest in gumming up locks...

World's best known & respected lock maker deliberately decides to ruin its
reputation? Not very likely is it?

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 03:31:22 +0100, Clive George wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:44:21 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
The ONLY thing WD40 does well is act as a moisture dispersant,
temporarily.

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you
innit?

Hmmmm. Yale v unknown newsgroup person.

I'm just glad they don't have Yale locks here... ;-)

Harvard man?

Only half?
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

WD40 has been used for years as penetrating AND lubricating

Snake oil.

It doesn't do what it says on the tin for very long.
Oversold ****, in other words.
You can get exactly the same pentrant and lubricant action by making
up a spray bottle of a gob of engine oil with diesel.
The ONLY thing WD40 does well is act as a moisture dispersant,
temporarily.

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you innit?

Hmmmm. Yale v unknown newsgroup person.

Dave, you're digging yourself a hole.

Yale is a shadow of the company it used to be. It's been brought and
sold a few times in the last 30 years and is now merely a brand owned by
ASSA Abloy, who also own Union, Chubb, Mul-t-lock, Ingersoll, Adams
Rite, Besam, and a load of other brands. Yale doesn't have its own
marketing or website; It's run in the UK by Mul-T-Lock UK (wholly owned
by ASSA Abloy) as just that: a brand.

http://www.mul-t-lock.co.uk/brands.aspx

http://www.assaabloy.com/en/com/Abou...ds/All-Brands/

Yale cylinder products are made in China and quality is IMHO nothing
like what it used to be. It must be said that Yale mortice locks are
made on the same production line as Union and Chubb product and some of
their BS3621 Locks are exactly the same as Chubb (apart from the fact
that Chubb still has nice brass keys).

As an aside, Assa Abloy are losing the rights to use the Chubb name for
commercial and domestic locks next year, so all chubb locks will be
re-branded as Union and all Chubb secondary security (window locks, etc)
will be re-branded as Yale.

http://www.chubb-at-heart.co.uk/questions/1

Assa Abloy do in fact market a lock lubricant:
http://www.assa.co.uk/index.php?cid=3519# which, judging by its MSDS is
a PTFE product. They also advocate against using other kinds of
products, including graphite in their cylinders. WD40 is not
specifically mentioned, but here's a quote from a PDF:

"Warning!
Never use grease, oil or graphite based lubricants in locking
cylinders as these lubricants cause functionality disruptions
and clogs up the mechanism."

It has to be said that there's nothing special about Yale any more, it's
merely one brand out of sixty owned by the world's biggest security
products conglomerate and at that it's a subsidiary brand that's well
down the corporate chain of command. It comes as no surprise to me that
the instruction leaflet is off-message.

Cheers,
DaveyO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 07:26:19 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hmmmm. Yale v unknown newsgroup person.

Vested interest in gumming up locks...

World's best known & respected lock maker deliberately decides to ruin its
reputation? Not very likely is it?

They're relying on the general public remaining ignorant of WD40's
failings - assuming they're even aware of the failings themselves, which
they might not be.

If things turn sour they'll silently drop the recommendation, I'm sure. Of
the locks that fail, I'm sure they can claim all sorts of natural causes
for the vast majority - and silence the minority quite easily.

It'd be interesting to ask them what sort of longevity testing - if any -
they did on locks treated with WD40, but I can't be bothered - I've not
seen any Yale products this side of the Pond, so it's just not an issue
for me.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you innit?

And I'm sure Hotpoints only work properly with Daz.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Shame the worlds best known lock manufacturer doesn't agree with you
innit?

And I'm sure Hotpoints only work properly with Daz.

Thats coz Daz (can you still buy that - and Omo, which always made us laugh
as kids) give away a free packet. You don't get a free can of WD40 with a
Yale lock.

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the delay in answering this post, but I still disagree with
you. At the end of the day it is still a water dispersant and that is
what it was originally designed as. Not too long ago, it was known as WD
36. The fact that it *can* lubricate for a short time, is a bonus. As is
its ability to penetrate. That was part of its design, to penetrate and
oust the water.

Regards

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:45:29 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats coz Daz (can you still buy that - and Omo,

If Omo won't whiten it and Daz won't brighten it, BUGGER it.

(J.Carrot)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:45:29 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats coz Daz (can you still buy that - and Omo,

If Omo won't whiten it and Daz won't brighten it, BUGGER it.

(J.Carrot)

(Fred "Oldest Swinger in Town" Wedlock)

(At least, according to my memory and eccles he
http://www.hard-facts.net/cgi-bin/forum/fxm.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=8479;st=0)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:45:29 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats coz Daz (can you still buy that - and Omo,

If Omo won't whiten it and Daz won't brighten it, BUGGER it.

(J.Carrot)

Best Universal Grease Grime & Effluent Remover. IIRC

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:45:29 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats coz Daz (can you still buy that - and Omo,

If Omo won't whiten it and Daz won't brighten it, BUGGER it.

(J.Carrot)

(Fred "Oldest Swinger in Town" Wedlock)

(At least, according to my memory and eccles he
http://www.hard-facts.net/cgi-bin/forum/fxm.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=8479;st=0)

Definately Carrot

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:45:29 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats coz Daz (can you still buy that - and Omo,
If Omo won't whiten it and Daz won't brighten it, BUGGER it.

(J.Carrot)

(Fred "Oldest Swinger in Town" Wedlock)

(At least, according to my memory and eccles he
http://www.hard-facts.net/cgi-bin/forum/fxm.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=8479;st=0)

Definately Carrot

If my album identification is right, it was on Wedlock's Frollicks album
issued in 1973. And he called it Best Universal Grit Grime and Effluent
Remover.

Not for one minute am I suggesting that Carrot, J, never had a version,
but I *think* Wedlock was earlier.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:40:58 +0100, Rod wrote:

If my album identification is right, it was on Wedlock's Frollicks album
issued in 1973. And he called it Best Universal Grit Grime and Effluent
Remover.

Not for one minute am I suggesting that Carrot, J, never had a version,
but I *think* Wedlock was earlier.

I heard it from Carrot but Wedlock was certainly around at the time.
Carrot may have "borrowed" it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:45:29 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thats coz Daz (can you still buy that - and Omo,
If Omo won't whiten it and Daz won't brighten it, BUGGER it.

(J.Carrot)

(Fred "Oldest Swinger in Town" Wedlock)

(At least, according to my memory and eccles he
http://www.hard-facts.net/cgi-bin/forum/fxm.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=8479;st=0)

Definately Carrot

If my album identification is right, it was on Wedlock's Frollicks
album issued in 1973. And he called it Best Universal Grit Grime and
Effluent Remover.

Now, If I hadn't lent that album to some drunken norverner 30 years ago,
I could have told you

--
geoff