DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Undercoat/Topcoat? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/288408-undercoat-topcoat.html)

Bertie Doe September 30th 09 08:17 PM

Undercoat/Topcoat?

I've just fixed some pine quadrant, where the worktop
meets the wall-tiles. I've given it 2 coats of 'Valspar
all purpose primer/undercoat for wood and metal' (circa
1980's).

It's cream/off white colour, it dries to a sheen,
somewhere between gloss and matt. "Great, it matches
the rest of the kitchen perfectly" says the missus. The
problem is, I've bought some brilliant white topcoat.

I could add another layer of undercoat. Are there any
characteristics, which prevent it being used as a
topcoat - it's likely to get splashed. TIA.

fred September 30th 09 09:23 PM

Undercoat/Topcoat?

In article , Bertie Doe
writes
I've just fixed some pine quadrant, where the worktop
meets the wall-tiles. I've given it 2 coats of 'Valspar
all purpose primer/undercoat for wood and metal' (circa
1980's).

It's cream/off white colour, it dries to a sheen,
somewhere between gloss and matt. "Great, it matches
the rest of the kitchen perfectly" says the missus. The
problem is, I've bought some brilliant white topcoat.

I could add another layer of undercoat. Are there any
characteristics, which prevent it being used as a
topcoat - it's likely to get splashed. TIA.

The primer/undercoat's purpose is to bind the upper coats to the base
material and so it has an open porous structure, it will wear poorly and
stain easily (sorry).

Oil based eggshell is my choice for a durable soft sheen finish, I use
the Dulux Trade one although I would be happy to try the
Leyland/Johnstone brand next time, I've found their trade counter staff
to be knowledgeable & helpful..
--
fred

NT[_2_] October 1st 09 12:31 AM

Undercoat/Topcoat?

On Sep 30, 8:17*pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
I've just fixed some pine quadrant, where the worktop
meets the wall-tiles. I've given it 2 coats of 'Valspar
all purpose primer/undercoat for wood and metal' (circa
1980's).

It's cream/off white colour, it dries to a sheen,
somewhere between gloss and matt. "Great, it matches
the rest of the kitchen perfectly" says the missus. The
problem is, I've bought some brilliant white topcoat.

I could add another layer of undercoat. Are there any
characteristics, which prevent it being used as a
topcoat - it's likely to get splashed. TIA.

The problem is its matt, so wil get dirty and not wipe clean. you
could varnish it, or get some top coat colour matched.

NT

Bertie Doe October 1st 09 09:43 AM

Undercoat/Topcoat?

"fred" wrote in message
In article Bertie Doe

writes
[...]

Thanks Fred, that's what I needed to know. I should
have posted before I shopped, as the brilliant white I
mentioned, is Crown Non Drip Gloss. What attracted me
were the words "for use inside and out on wood and
metal". I'll give it a couple of coats of Crown, if it
doesn't wear well, I'll rub down with s/paper and give
the Dulux a try.

..

Bertie Doe October 1st 09 09:47 AM

Undercoat/Topcoat?

"NT" wrote in message
On Sep 30, 8:17 pm, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:
I've just fixed some pine quadrant, where the worktop
meets the wall-tiles. I've given it 2 coats of
'Valspar
all purpose primer/undercoat for wood and metal'
(circa
1980's).

It's cream/off white colour, it dries to a sheen,
somewhere between gloss and matt. "Great, it matches
the rest of the kitchen perfectly" says the missus.
The
problem is, I've bought some brilliant white topcoat.

I could add another layer of undercoat. Are there any
characteristics, which prevent it being used as a
topcoat - it's likely to get splashed. TIA.

The problem is its matt, so wil get dirty and not wipe
clean. you
could varnish it, or get some top coat colour matched.

Thanks NT, it's between a gloss and a matt, so it does
have a slight sheen. I'll use my topcoat in the
meantime. Next year I'll check out Dulux's cream or
off-white.