DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Car windscreen repair ads (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/288297-re-car-windscreen-repair-ads.html)

Keith W September 29th 09 09:09 AM

Car windscreen repair ads

"Roger" wrote in message

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message
The big car windscreen repairer (yes I know it's just a front for
replacement anyway but that's not the subject of this post) is running
ads at the moment which go along the lines of:
"Mr X had a chip and didn't get it repaired, he hit a pothole and it
turned into a crack". Implicit is "if we'd have repaired it that
wouldn't have happened" although that's not actually stated.

Now I understand how a repair can stop water getting in and so prevent
freeze-thaw breakages but is it in any way reasonable to claim that a
repair, which is little more than filling the hole, can do anything to
stop a chip turning into a crack because of mechanical stress?

I can feel a letter to the ASA coming on.

You do that, supplying your evidence and then post the result in a few
weeks
after they have investigated.
It's obvious you haven't a clue what you are talking about. I thought you
were
going to mention the way the adverts were misleading people in to thinking
that
repairs were "free" when they are not !

Correction. They say that they MAY be free if you have comprehensive
cover. Our last car was comprehensively insured, it was offered free and we
had a chip repaired at no cost and with no effect on the no claims bonus.
Our current car recently got a chip on the motorway and I am going to get
that done shortly.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames