Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shelf Brackets ?

Putting some shelves up in my computer room and need a little advice on the
brackets.

I am thinking of getting the elcheapo London Shelf Brackets.

Width of largest shelf is 400mm and the length is 600mm, actually making the
shelves from an old table that I couldn't bear to just throw on the tip.

Now the largest bracket that I can get is 350mm x 300mm.

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the bracket onto
the wall or doesn't it matter. The shelf will only hold a tuner amp and a 3
tray CD player side by side. Underneath the largest shelf will be my 28" old
style TV and the shelf will be about 4 inches above this.

Your help and suggestions most gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 8:43*am, "the_constructor"
wrote:
Putting some shelves up in my computer room and need a little advice on the
brackets.

I am thinking of getting the elcheapo London Shelf Brackets.

Width of largest shelf is 400mm and the length is 600mm, actually making the
shelves from an old table that I couldn't bear to just throw on the tip.

Now the largest bracket that I can get is 350mm x 300mm.

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the bracket onto
the wall or doesn't it matter. The shelf will only hold a tuner amp and a 3
tray CD player side by side. Underneath the largest shelf will be my 28" old
style TV and the shelf will be about 4 inches above this.

Your help and suggestions most gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Jim

either way works.
fwiw:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ondon_Brackets

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Putting some shelves up in my computer room and need a little advice
on the brackets.

I am thinking of getting the elcheapo London Shelf Brackets.

Width of largest shelf is 400mm and the length is 600mm, actually
making the shelves from an old table that I couldn't bear to just
throw on the tip.
Now the largest bracket that I can get is 350mm x 300mm.

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the
bracket onto the wall or doesn't it matter.

Longest bit on the wall is standard practice.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 7:32*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
Putting some shelves up in my computer room and need a little advice
on the brackets.

I am thinking of getting the elcheapo London Shelf Brackets.

Width of largest shelf is 400mm and the length is 600mm, actually
making the shelves from an old table that I couldn't bear to just
throw on the tip.
Now the largest bracket that I can get is 350mm x 300mm.

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the
bracket onto the wall or doesn't it matter.

Longest bit on the wall is standard practice.

Yes, resulting in choosing a bigger bracket generally. But when the
shelf is bigger than the bracket either way round, the strength is the
same either way. But large londons are weak, so might not be enough. I
tend to prefer something much tougher for the large sizes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Putting some shelves up in my computer room and need a little advice
on the brackets.

I am thinking of getting the elcheapo London Shelf Brackets.

Width of largest shelf is 400mm and the length is 600mm, actually
making the shelves from an old table that I couldn't bear to just
throw on the tip.
Now the largest bracket that I can get is 350mm x 300mm.

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the
bracket onto the wall or doesn't it matter. The shelf will only hold
a tuner amp and a 3 tray CD player side by side. Underneath the
largest shelf will be my 28" old style TV and the shelf will be about
4 inches above this.
Your help and suggestions most gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Jim.

Have you thought of the Spur Shelving system? This is a very strong,
adjustable system and if I recall correctly, brackets up to 450mm in length
were available when I last used this system.

See
http://www.spurshelving.co.uk/shop/s...FZoU4wod1Fyk2g

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
Putting some shelves up in my computer room and need a little advice
on the brackets.

I am thinking of getting the elcheapo London Shelf Brackets.

Width of largest shelf is 400mm and the length is 600mm, actually
making the shelves from an old table that I couldn't bear to just
throw on the tip.
Now the largest bracket that I can get is 350mm x 300mm.

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the
bracket onto the wall or doesn't it matter.

Longest bit on the wall is standard practice.

Yes, resulting in choosing a bigger bracket generally. But when the
shelf is bigger than the bracket either way round, the strength is the
same either way.

Can't see the logic in that. The load isn't straight down, its trying to
pull the bracket away from the wall, so the longest bit on the wall makes
sense surely?

But large londons are weak, so might not be enough. I
tend to prefer something much tougher for the large sizes.

Agreed, but the price difference between London brackets & the next grade up
is huge.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:27:57 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Question is, are you supposed to put the longest length of the
bracket onto the wall or doesn't it matter.

Longest bit on the wall is standard practice.

Yes, resulting in choosing a bigger bracket generally. But when the
shelf is bigger than the bracket either way round, the strength is the
same either way.

Can't see the logic in that. The load isn't straight down, its trying to
pull the bracket away from the wall, so the longest bit on the wall makes
sense surely?

Most of the load is on the 2 top screws in to the wall, with the bottom of
the bracket acting as the fulcrum and the screw there is just to stop the
end from being misaligned by a long lever.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

If you look at how the bracket is trying to (not) fold under the
weight, its the same whichever way round you put it.

But large londons are weak, so might not be enough. I
tend to prefer something much tougher for the large sizes.

Agreed, but the price difference between London brackets & the next grade up
is huge.

it is. Its also worth it IME, large londons are very poor performers.
A much cheaper option is to use small londons, which cost verylittle,
plus vertical timber support bars at the shelf fronts.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

It is not an option to use the support bars at the front.
FRollowing someone else's comments, I am now looking at the metal double
slotted strips that fit to the wall with the appropriate brackets

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

Much better option, especially on plasterboard walls. You can get multiple
fixings in to spread the load.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

Best supplier, delivered ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

fronts. It is not an option to use the support bars at the front.
FRollowing someone else's comments, I am now looking at the metal
double slotted strips that fit to the wall with the appropriate
brackets

Much better option, especially on plasterboard walls. You can get
multiple fixings in to spread the load.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Best supplier, delivered ?

Slotted uprights or fixings? :-)

I use the Wickes ones, not the el cheapo single slot, the heavy duty twin
slot ones. Rawlplug Uno - best platerboard fixing I've ever used.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check Ebay for "Spur" metal shelving brackets & double-hole strips.

They go in & out of fashion so can be very cheap, are well made,
adjustable. You can get things like "book-ends" which are
"functionally attractive", typically red, white, cream, perhaps brown.
The cream is ok with "barley white", the white a little cold looking.
The adjustability is very welcome vs fixed brackets. Ideally, if you
can fix into a wall stud if plasterboard as with any brackets.

wire shelf brackets RayV Woodworking 2 January 10th 08 04:20 PM
Shelf Brackets louisxiv UK diy 9 December 6th 06 10:04 AM
Shelf brackets Dave UK diy 0 April 2nd 06 12:21 AM
B&Q Shelf brackets. Clint Sharp UK diy 2 January 3rd 05 12:45 PM