Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating control unit blowing fuse

Hi,
I have a Drayton Central Heating control unit ( i.e. controlling the
times the heating and water come on ) which keeps blowing the 3 amp fuse
protecting it.

Is it a case of getting a new unit ( and how complicated is that to fit)
or is there any likely chance of repair.

As far as I know the unit is about 8-10 years old as it was in the house
before we moved in.

Many Thanks for any guidance

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris
writes
Hi,
I have a Drayton Central Heating control unit ( i.e. controlling the
times the heating and water come on ) which keeps blowing the 3 amp
fuse protecting it.

Is it the controller or what the controller is switching ?

i.e the boiler or associated bits, the pump for example

Is it a case of getting a new unit ( and how complicated is that to
fit) or is there any likely chance of repair.

If you were the sort that could repair it, I would have thought you
would have got inside and tried without asking

but you're asking a how long is a piece of string question

As far as I know the unit is about 8-10 years old as it was in the
house before we moved in.

Since you haven't actually said what model it is, its hard to say as
different ones have different backplates which you may or may not have
to change, depending on age

My feeling is that its probably the further down the line where your
problem lies, programmers don't tend to blow fuses

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies ... Have since found out that the unit is a
Drayton Tempus 7 and on replacing the fuse again - the unit displays
the time etc. OK which you can programme but blows the fuse when the hot
water is turned on by "advancing" or by timing. ( No central heating
turned on)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
I have a Drayton Central Heating control unit ( i.e. controlling the
times the heating and water come on ) which keeps blowing the 3 amp fuse
protecting it.

You need to be certain it is that and not something it feeds or the wiring
to those. My guess is it's far more likely to be the latter options. If it
were a fault in the unit itself it would likely have stopped working by
now. Basically it's just two switches operated by its electronics.

Is it a case of getting a new unit ( and how complicated is that to fit)
or is there any likely chance of repair.

If it were the controller at fault, given the lowish price, a pro repair
is unlikely to be viable.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
Thanks for the replies ... Have since found out that the unit is a
Drayton Tempus 7 and on replacing the fuse again - the unit displays
the time etc. OK which you can programme but blows the fuse when the hot
water is turned on by "advancing" or by timing. ( No central heating
turned on)

Trouble is this action could be operating a variety of things - could be
moving a 3 port valve or operating a single one. So more information on
the system needed. Does it work ok on heating only?

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Thanks for the replies ... Have since found out that the unit is a
Drayton Tempus 7 and on replacing the fuse again - the unit displays
the time etc. OK which you can programme but blows the fuse when the
hot water is turned on by "advancing" or by timing. ( No central
heating turned on)

Assuming it's a fully pumped system, I'd put my money on the pump. This is
the point in the system where water and electricity are at their closest -
and if a fault causes them to get *too* close, blown fuses (or tripped RCDs)
are likely to result.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central heating control unit blowing fuse - fixed

Roger Mills wrote:
Chris wrote:

Thanks for the replies ... Have since found out that the unit is a
Drayton Tempus 7 and on replacing the fuse again - the unit displays
the time etc. OK which you can programme but blows the fuse when the
hot water is turned on by "advancing" or by timing. ( No central
heating turned on)

Assuming it's a fully pumped system, I'd put my money on the pump. This is
the point in the system where water and electricity are at their closest -
and if a fault causes them to get *too* close, blown fuses (or tripped RCDs)
are likely to result.

Fixed - Leaking gland nut was dripping water onto the pump circuit and
blew the circuitry.

Thanks for all teh help

Chris