Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMC GMC is offline

Default new extension

I am looking to extend my house by adding a two storey side return.
Dimensions would be roughly 10m long by 4m wide. The space downstairs
would be a garage and kitchen extension, upstairs would be a bedroom and
en-suite. Anyone care to hazard a cost for this? Ballpark would be fine,
or even an average m2 price. Location is central Scotland.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMC wrote:
I am looking to extend my house by adding a two storey side return.
Dimensions would be roughly 10m long by 4m wide. The space downstairs
would be a garage and kitchen extension, upstairs would be a bedroom and
en-suite. Anyone care to hazard a cost for this? Ballpark would be fine,
or even an average m2 price. Location is central Scotland.

In costing such a thing it would help if you said whether there is any
difficulty in constructing foundations, what the materials the house is
built from are, and whether you intending to contract out for the whole
job, individual labourers, or do some of the work yourself, and whether
you intend to employ an architect.

That said, I would start at 70-85,000 pounds based what you describe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Sep, 15:06, GMC wrote:
I am looking to extend my house by adding a two storey side return.
Dimensions would be roughly 10m long by 4m wide. The space downstairs
would be a garage and kitchen extension, upstairs would be a bedroom and
en-suite. Anyone care to hazard a cost for this? Ballpark would be fine,
or even an average m2 price. Location is central Scotland.

I had a similar 2 storey side extension built last year, 12.5m x 3m,
basic cost was about 130K (inc vat). I'm in the South East, and I used
an expensive company (purely because they were the only ones who could
do it in the timescale I needed), so I reckon you could be looking at
about 1/2 to 2/3 of that in Scotland.
If I were you I'd think about getting 2 bedrooms into the upstairs
space, it would almost certainly add more to the value of the house in
the long run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"GMC" wrote in message ...
I am looking to extend my house by adding a two storey side return.
Dimensions would be roughly 10m long by 4m wide. The space downstairs would
be a garage and kitchen extension, upstairs would be a bedroom and
en-suite. Anyone care to hazard a cost for this? Ballpark would be fine, or
even an average m2 price. Location is central Scotland.

my understanding is
£1000/m^2 for basic build (basic structure, walls, roof, floors)
£1500/m^2 for finished to a basic state
£2000/m^2 for finished and furnished.

less if you DIY, more if you want high spec materials

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMC wrote:
I am looking to extend my house by adding a two storey side return.
Dimensions would be roughly 10m long by 4m wide. The space downstairs
would be a garage and kitchen extension, upstairs would be a bedroom and
en-suite. Anyone care to hazard a cost for this? Ballpark would be fine,
or even an average m2 price. Location is central Scotland.

TIA

£1000 a sq meter (floor area) fitted out reasonably so £80k or so tops.

Probably £45-60k bare shell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 01:45:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

GMC wrote:
I am looking to extend my house by adding a two storey side return.
Dimensions would be roughly 10m long by 4m wide. The space downstairs
would be a garage and kitchen extension, upstairs would be a bedroom and
en-suite. Anyone care to hazard a cost for this? Ballpark would be fine,
or even an average m2 price. Location is central Scotland.

TIA

£1000 a sq meter (floor area) fitted out reasonably so £80k or so tops.

Probably £45-60k bare shell.

Your extension sounds very similar what I had built four years ago.
The basic build cost me £50K (including a bathroom suite). I am in
the South West. DIY would be a lot less.

You could easily spend the same again finishing it off.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Sponge extension? Steve[_16_] Home Ownership 2 March 23rd 09 12:48 PM
Gap between extension kerrylass UK diy 3 January 16th 07 12:13 PM
Extension John UK diy 13 September 29th 06 07:44 PM
extension Jim UK diy 1 January 29th 06 05:44 PM
electrical box extension oreo123 Home Repair 4 February 18th 05 04:24 AM