DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lighting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/287642-lighting.html)

Will[_6_] September 20th 09 03:20 PM

Lighting

Electrician has rcommended fitting HV fluorescent lighting in a kitchen.
Never heard of this - anyone know
whether it works and is it safe? TIA.

Will

YAPH September 20th 09 03:33 PM

Lighting

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:20:46 +0100, Will wrote:

Electrician has rcommended fitting HV fluorescent lighting in a kitchen.
Never heard of this - anyone know
whether it works and is it safe? TIA.

Dunno about HV (that would be High Voltage, which would be above 1000
Volts, which simply doesn't exist in a domestic context!).

OTOH there's HF == High Frequency which is decent modern fittings which
don't do that annoying flick-start (and flicker even more annoyingly when
they're on the way out). If you're happy with fluorescent then HF is
definitely the biz - and the ones B&Q does are under £25 for a normal
1500mm (5' in old money).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Press any key to continue or any other key to exit

Dave Plowman (News) September 20th 09 03:53 PM

Lighting

In article ,
Will wrote:
Electrician has rcommended fitting HV fluorescent lighting in a kitchen.
Never heard of this - anyone know
whether it works and is it safe? TIA.

I hope you misheard him - and it was HF. Electronic ballasts that run at a
much (H)igher (F)requency than mains - eliminating any visible flicker,
higher efficiency and longer tube life. No chance of hum from the fittings
either.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andrew Gabriel September 20th 09 04:19 PM

Lighting

In article ,
"Will" writes:
Electrician has rcommended fitting HV fluorescent lighting in a kitchen.

Gosh -- you found an enlightened electrician.
Assuming you mean HF (high frequency).
Mostly they fit mains voltage downlighters, which result
in appauling lighting, and high bills.

Never heard of this - anyone know
whether it works and is it safe? TIA.

It's probably the best lighting available for a kitchen.
However, that's largely down to the type and positioning
of the fittings. I always conceal them -- on top of
cupboards lighting the room by bouncing light off a
brilliant white ceiling, and under cupboards to provide
worktop task lighting.

--
Andrew Gabriel

NT[_2_] September 20th 09 04:53 PM

Lighting

On Sep 20, 4:19*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Will" writes:

Electrician has rcommended fitting HV fluorescent lighting in a kitchen..

Gosh -- you found an enlightened electrician.
Assuming you mean HF (high frequency).
Mostly they fit mains voltage downlighters, which result
in appauling lighting, and high bills.

Never heard of this - anyone know
whether it works and is it safe? * * TIA.

It's probably the best lighting available for a kitchen.
However, that's largely down to the type and positioning
of the fittings. I always conceal them -- on top of
cupboards lighting the room by bouncing light off a
brilliant white ceiling, and under cupboards to provide
worktop task lighting.

Fluorescent lighting is great _if_ the details are got right. Get them
wrong and its/ just unpleasant.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...scent_Lighting

NT

Will[_6_] September 21st 09 03:26 PM

Lighting

Thanks to all for info. Quite right I should have said HF not HV.

Will

Dave Plowman (News) September 21st 09 07:09 PM

Lighting

In article ,
Will wrote:
Thanks to all for info. Quite right I should have said HF not HV.

Other thing to note is there is a big variety of tubes available so you
can choose the light type you like most. Ones as supplied with fittings
tend not to be the best choice. But you'll need a proper supplier for them
- not a shed.

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.