DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ridge tile pointing repair (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/286872-ridge-tile-pointing-repair.html)

Steve September 11th 09 02:28 PM

Ridge tile pointing repair

Hi. I've been adjusting the TV aerial on the roof. The roof ridge has a row
of half round tiles; the tiles are separated by about1 inch with mortar in
between.

I've noticed there are small gaps, around a millimetre, at the edges of some
tiles - the mortar has separated from the tile edges. They may have been
like this for some time or it might be because I disturbed the tiles
(walking/sitting on them).

The morter between the tles is in good condition and very hard to break. I
tried chipping away as I was thinking about cutting it back enouigh to try
pointing, but it is really tough.

Should I do anything about 1mm gaps? If so, is there a good way to fill
them without cutting back the existing mortar?

Thanks.

Dave Plowman (News) September 11th 09 03:24 PM

Ridge tile pointing repair

In article ,
Steve wrote:
Hi. I've been adjusting the TV aerial on the roof. The roof ridge has a
row of half round tiles; the tiles are separated by about1 inch with
mortar in between.

I've noticed there are small gaps, around a millimetre, at the edges of
some tiles - the mortar has separated from the tile edges. They may
have been like this for some time or it might be because I disturbed
the tiles (walking/sitting on them).

The morter between the tles is in good condition and very hard to break.
I tried chipping away as I was thinking about cutting it back enouigh
to try pointing, but it is really tough.

Should I do anything about 1mm gaps? If so, is there a good way to fill
them without cutting back the existing mortar?

Cement mortar is a poor material for ridge tiles - as the roof always
moves relative to them. And the stronger you make it the worse the
problem. Use a good non setting mastic to fill any gaps. If doing again
use lime mortar.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Steve September 11th 09 04:25 PM

Ridge tile pointing repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve wrote:

..
snip
I've noticed there are small gaps, around a millimetre, at the edges of
some tiles - the mortar has separated from the tile edges. They may

..
snip
..
Cement mortar is a poor material for ridge tiles - as the roof always
moves relative to them. And the stronger you make it the worse the
problem. Use a good non setting mastic to fill any gaps. If doing again
use lime mortar.

Thank Dave. Can you suggest a source for non setting mastic? I can't see
any on Screwfix or Toolstation.

NT[_2_] September 12th 09 08:03 AM

Ridge tile pointing repair

On Sep 11, 4:25*pm, "Steve" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ... In article ,
* Steve wrote:

.
snip I've noticed there are small gaps, around a millimetre, at the edges of
some tiles - the mortar has separated from the tile edges. *They may

.
snip
. Cement mortar is a poor material for ridge tiles - as the roof always
moves relative to them. And the stronger you make it the worse the
problem. Use a good non setting mastic to fill any gaps. If doing again
use lime mortar.

Thank Dave. *Can you suggest a source for non setting mastic? *I can't see
any on Screwfix or Toolstation.

I wasnt sure whether to mention bitumen

NT

Steve September 12th 09 05:04 PM

Ridge tile pointing repair

"NT" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 4:25 pm, "Steve" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
... In article
,
Steve wrote:

.
snip I've noticed there are small gaps, around a millimetre, at the
edges of
some tiles - the mortar has separated from the tile edges. They may

snip
I wasnt sure whether to mention bitumen
NT

After some research on mastics, I've decided to use some stuff called
Aquafix. Soundss right for the job.
e.g. http://www.xpressconstruction.com/de...mID=SOUAQUAFIX and
http://www.absealants.co.uk/category...ter-Repair.htm

Should be easy to use as its applied with an applicator gun.