DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Modern paint remover (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/286311-modern-paint-remover.html)

Jim S September 5th 09 01:12 PM

Modern paint remover

I need to get some layers of oil-based gloss paint off some brass fittings.
Last time I did something similar I used Nitromors. Is there something
new/better on the market?
They are not attached to anything so I can soak them in a container.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Andrew Gabriel September 5th 09 02:09 PM

Modern paint remover

In article ,
Jim S writes:
I need to get some layers of oil-based gloss paint off some brass fittings.
Last time I did something similar I used Nitromors. Is there something
new/better on the market?
They are not attached to anything so I can soak them in a container.

Any methylene chloride based paint stripper should do it,
such as Wickes own brand (assuming the EU ban hasn't come
in yet, since I last bought some).

It's nasty stuff though - read the warnings on the tin.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Stuart Noble September 5th 09 02:11 PM

Modern paint remover

Jim S wrote:
I need to get some layers of oil-based gloss paint off some brass fittings.
Last time I did something similar I used Nitromors. Is there something
new/better on the market?
They are not attached to anything so I can soak them in a container.

Caustic soda in a plastic bucket. Leave overnight. Doesn't attack solid
brass, but I've never tried it with electro brassed (EB) fittings.

S Viemeister[_2_] September 5th 09 02:30 PM

Modern paint remover

Jim S wrote:
I need to get some layers of oil-based gloss paint off some brass fittings.
Last time I did something similar I used Nitromors. Is there something
new/better on the market?
They are not attached to anything so I can soak them in a container.

I did all the hardware for the doors and cupboards in an old house, by
simmering the pieces in a pot of white vinegar. It softens even very
thick layers of paint, and makes it easy to remove with toothpicks and
old toothbrushes. Don't use an aluminium pan, though - use cheap
stainless or enamel. It's healthier for you, easier on the budget than
paint remover, and does at least as good a job.