DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Quick steam cleaner query (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/286116-quick-steam-cleaner-query.html)

Pete Zahut September 2nd 09 03:42 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

We've just got one of these http://preview.tinyurl.com/mh67at primarily for
kitchen floor tiles, bathroom tiles etc., etc. It says in the handbook that
came with it that it can be used to clean windows - specifically the glass,
not the uPVC, and it even comes with a squeegee attachment to do it.

I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna crack, my
missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a specific
tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy paying for a new
window!

Cheers,

Pete

Dave Liquorice[_2_] September 2nd 09 04:40 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:42:48 +0100, Pete Zahut wrote:

I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna crack,
my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a specific
tool/instructions to do so.

That is fairly sound provided there is no exclusion fro DG units
though TBH I can't see it being a problem for the glass.

Who's right - cos I don't fancy paying for a new window!

Well as she said it was OK she pays surely?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] September 2nd 09 04:49 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

After serious thinking Pete Zahut wrote :
I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna crack, my
missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a specific
tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy paying for a new
window!

I would guess that the localised heat would set up stresses in the
glass and that it might well shatter. Glass doesn't always shatter
straight away. You can drop a glass, pick it up then have it shatter a
week latter untouched, in the cupboard.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Dave Plowman (News) September 2nd 09 05:03 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

In article ,
Pete Zahut dont@bother wrote:
We've just got one of these http://preview.tinyurl.com/mh67at primarily
for kitchen floor tiles, bathroom tiles etc., etc. It says in the
handbook that came with it that it can be used to clean windows -
specifically the glass, not the uPVC, and it even comes with a squeegee
attachment to do it.

I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna crack,
my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a specific
tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy paying for a
new window!

Just out of curiously, why would you want to steam clean a window? Even my
kitchen one close to the cooking area cleans easily with warm water and a
drop of washing up liquid.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Pete Zahut September 2nd 09 05:21 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:42:48 +0100, Pete Zahut wrote:

I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna
crack, my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a
specific tool/instructions to do so.

That is fairly sound provided there is no exclusion fro DG units
though TBH I can't see it being a problem for the glass.

Who's right - cos I don't fancy paying for a new window!

Well as she said it was OK she pays surely?

Well, we don't have my money and her money, we have a communal pot of our
money so I'd still end up paying some :o(

Pete Zahut September 2nd 09 05:21 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Pete Zahut wrote :
I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna
crack, my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a
specific tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy
paying for a new window!

I would guess that the localised heat would set up stresses in the
glass and that it might well shatter

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] September 2nd 09 05:23 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
Just out of curiously, why would you want to steam clean a window? Even my
kitchen one close to the cooking area cleans easily with warm water and a
drop of washing up liquid.

I think a TV ad for a steam cleaner showed it being used to clean a
window. Having bought and tested one, I really cannot think of a slower
method by which one could clean a window.

Pete Zahut September 2nd 09 05:24 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Pete Zahut dont@bother wrote:
We've just got one of these http://preview.tinyurl.com/mh67at
primarily for kitchen floor tiles, bathroom tiles etc., etc. It says
in the handbook that came with it that it can be used to clean
windows - specifically the glass, not the uPVC, and it even comes
with a squeegee attachment to do it.

I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna
crack, my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a
specific tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy
paying for a new window!

Just out of curiously, why would you want to steam clean a window?
Even my kitchen one close to the cooking area cleans easily with warm
water and a drop of washing up liquid.

Just asked her that very question on your behalf Dave and the reply was,
"Well, it says I can so I just wanted to play with the new toy" (which was
literally just delivered a couple of hours ago) - so make of that what you
will :o)

Tim S September 2nd 09 06:00 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

Harry Bloomfield coughed up some electrons that declared:

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
Just out of curiously, why would you want to steam clean a window? Even
my kitchen one close to the cooking area cleans easily with warm water
and a drop of washing up liquid.

I think a TV ad for a steam cleaner showed it being used to clean a
window. Having bought and tested one, I really cannot think of a slower
method by which one could clean a window.

I have a little steam cleaner - it is useful for small areas of hideous
gunk - like bits of a cooker and fiddly bits on a sink like round the taps.
Where you can concentrate a tiny jet of mentally host steam for a few
seconds those things do work.

But for large cold areas, all it does is effectively deposit warm water -
you might as well start with a bucket of warm flash/etc.

Cheers

Tim

The Medway Handyman September 2nd 09 07:24 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

Pete Zahut wrote:
We've just got one of these http://preview.tinyurl.com/mh67at
primarily for kitchen floor tiles, bathroom tiles etc., etc. It says
in the handbook that came with it that it can be used to clean
windows - specifically the glass, not the uPVC, and it even comes
with a squeegee attachment to do it.
I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna
crack, my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a
specific tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy
paying for a new window!

I worked for Karcher when they first launched theirs and was also wary, but
after dozens of trials found that it gave an incredible clean with no
breakages.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Pete Zahut September 2nd 09 08:28 PM

Quick steam cleaner query

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote:
We've just got one of these http://preview.tinyurl.com/mh67at
primarily for kitchen floor tiles, bathroom tiles etc., etc. It says
in the handbook that came with it that it can be used to clean
windows - specifically the glass, not the uPVC, and it even comes
with a squeegee attachment to do it.
I reckon if you squirt steam at a double-glazed panel it's gonna
crack, my missus reckons that it should be OK given that there's a
specific tool/instructions to do so. Who's right - cos I don't fancy
paying for a new window!

I worked for Karcher when they first launched theirs and was also
wary, but after dozens of trials found that it gave an incredible
clean with no breakages.

Oh, cheers Dave. Quite surprised at that. I'll have to get some custard on
the go now to go with that humble pie :o)