Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aluminium glue

If I do decide to have a go at welding with my MIG - what would be a good
starting point current wise, etc?

The tube is approx 70mm diameter with a 2mm thick wall
The bush 24mm x 12mm with a 14mm thread already tapped in it.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
If I do decide to have a go at welding with my MIG - what would be a good
starting point current wise, etc?

The tube is approx 70mm diameter with a 2mm thick wall
The bush 24mm x 12mm with a 14mm thread already tapped in it.

You don't have an ideal situation if you're trying to glue a flat boss to a
round tube, especially with such a thin wall thickness because you can't
even flat the tube enough to match the boss without breaking right through
it. You could shape the boss to match the tube o/d if you had a lathe or
mill to generate a 70mm diameter curve. Easier to weld it then I'm now
thinking.

If I was doing it I'd flat the tube a bit with a milling cutter, drill a
hole, turn the boss to be a fit into that with a flange and weld round it.
Alternatively I'd set up a flycutter at 70mm diameter, radius the bottom of
the boss to match the tube and then weld that on. I'll do it for you if you
get stuck. I've got loads of spare ally offcuts too if you need to make
another one.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

Alternatively, glue the boss to the inside and then tightening the sensor
will just make the joint compress more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
If I do decide to have a go at welding with my MIG - what would be a
good starting point current wise, etc?

The tube is approx 70mm diameter with a 2mm thick wall
The bush 24mm x 12mm with a 14mm thread already tapped in it.

You don't have an ideal situation if you're trying to glue a flat boss
to a round tube, especially with such a thin wall thickness because you
can't even flat the tube enough to match the boss without breaking
right through it. You could shape the boss to match the tube o/d if you
had a lathe or mill to generate a 70mm diameter curve. Easier to weld
it then I'm now thinking.

I've cut a hole in the tube so the boss pokes through.

If I was doing it I'd flat the tube a bit with a milling cutter, drill a
hole, turn the boss to be a fit into that with a flange and weld round
it. Alternatively I'd set up a flycutter at 70mm diameter, radius the
bottom of the boss to match the tube and then weld that on.

Rather beyond the facilities of my home workshop.;-)

I'll do it
for you if you get stuck. I've got loads of spare ally offcuts too if
you need to make another one.

Looking at my Haynes welding manual, they make a big song and dance about
MIG ally welding. Talk about needing a special wire liner. Preheating the
work to 350 degrees.

I've glued it in place with ordinary superglue - and it seems pretty
solid. Tightened the sensor as much as I would normally do and it held.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.