DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flexible joint filler (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/285057-flexible-joint-filler.html)

chudford August 20th 09 11:33 AM

Flexible joint filler

I have a windowsill in a bay window made of 3 sections of wood.

The joints between the sections need to be filled with something.

I have tried polyfilla and various flexible fillers but the joints
keep cracking.

Any ideas for solving this problem?

Thanks

Bob Minchin[_2_] August 20th 09 12:26 PM

Flexible joint filler

chudford wrote:
I have a windowsill in a bay window made of 3 sections of wood.

The joints between the sections need to be filled with something.

I have tried polyfilla and various flexible fillers but the joints
keep cracking.

Any ideas for solving this problem?

Thanks

Wood moves. You won't stop it. It's nature at work.
Use a suitable shaped wooden moulding and only fix to one side of the
joint. Paint underneath first so when the joint moves painted wood shows.
Bob

Stuart Noble August 20th 09 01:46 PM

Flexible joint filler

chudford wrote:
I have a windowsill in a bay window made of 3 sections of wood.

The joints between the sections need to be filled with something.

I have tried polyfilla and various flexible fillers but the joints
keep cracking.

Any ideas for solving this problem?

Thanks

Bay sills are a pain because, for each joint, you have two sections of
end grain sticking out in the weather. They're often well rotten inside
before anything shows on the surface.
Anything flexible enough to withstand the movement is likely to pick up
grime and look a mess.