DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/285051-boiler-manual-glow-worm-space-saver-mk2.html)

Colin Wilson August 20th 09 09:41 AM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?

(I don't know which specific model it is from the range atm)

I'm just trying to work out what's making it run so noisily - the rads
are bled, but even with them off it sounds like it's pumping a huge
amount of air around the system (gurgling like a b*stard to be more
precise)

I've just tried to lower the temp at the boiler end in case it was
kettling causing it (don't normally notice if it is, as it's in a
garage)

Donwill[_3_] August 20th 09 11:02 AM

Colin Wilson wrote:
Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?

(I don't know which specific model it is from the range atm)

I'm just trying to work out what's making it run so noisily - the rads
are bled, but even with them off it sounds like it's pumping a huge
amount of air around the system (gurgling like a b*stard to be more
precise)

I've just tried to lower the temp at the boiler end in case it was
kettling causing it (don't normally notice if it is, as it's in a
garage)

Not for the Space saver, but I have one for Glow-worm Hideaway if that's
any use to you?
Don

Colin Wilson August 20th 09 11:12 AM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

Not for the Space saver, but I have one for Glow-worm Hideaway if that's
any use to you?

....possibly - Ed or the other chap who repairs PCBs might have one to
hand, but I might get back to you...

Thanks for the reply :-)

Colin Wilson August 20th 09 01:12 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?
Email or ring up Glowworm. They sent me a copy for mine PDQ.

OK thanks for that - for some reason I thought they'd gone out of
business !

Colin Wilson August 20th 09 07:16 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?
(I don't know which specific model it is from the range atm)

Just a small update, it's the Spacesaver Mk2 50BR model

geoff August 20th 09 07:21 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

In message , Donwill
writes
Colin Wilson wrote:
Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?

(I don't know which specific model it is from the range atm)

I'm just trying to work out what's making it run so noisily - the
rads are bled, but even with them off it sounds like it's pumping a
huge amount of air around the system (gurgling like a b*stard to be
more precise)

I've just tried to lower the temp at the boiler end in case it was
kettling causing it (don't normally notice if it is, as it's in a
garage)

Not for the Space saver, but I have one for Glow-worm Hideaway if
that's any use to you?
Don

Completely different animal

--
geoff

geoff August 20th 09 07:23 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

In message ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
writes
Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?

Email or ring up Glowworm. They sent me a copy for mine PDQ.

OK thanks for that - for some reason I thought they'd gone out of
business !

Just hiding behind a hyphen

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/

--
geoff

geoff August 20th 09 07:27 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

In message ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
writes
Not for the Space saver, but I have one for Glow-worm Hideaway if that's
any use to you?

...possibly - Ed or the other chap who repairs PCBs might have one to
hand,

The bloke who repairs PCBS ?

You mean the one who pays other people to repair them for him ...

--
bumsnase

geoff August 20th 09 07:37 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

In message , Colin
Wilson o.uk writes
Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?

(I don't know which specific model it is from the range atm)

I'm just trying to work out what's making it run so noisily - the rads
are bled, but even with them off it sounds like it's pumping a huge
amount of air around the system (gurgling like a b*stard to be more
precise)

I've just tried to lower the temp at the boiler end in case it was
kettling causing it (don't normally notice if it is, as it's in a
garage)

I prolly have one, but I doubt it will be of much use for what you're
describing

If you have a leak somewhere that's letting air in, it could be anywhere
in the system not necessarily in the boiler

You might find that your auto bleed valve isn't working properly, it
will be somewhere at the top of the boiler and is usually gold in colour
and circular with a screw top an inch and a half in diameter and two
inches tall

Check out the joints in the boiler to see if there is evidence of water
leaks especially around the heat exchanger

The only other (continually) moving parts in the boiler are the fan,
and the pump if its part of the boiler

--
geoff

Colin Wilson August 20th 09 09:49 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

...possibly - Ed or the other chap who repairs PCBs might have one to
hand,

The bloke who repairs PCBS ?
You mean the one who pays other people to repair them for him ...

He's got enough positive feedback for me to consider him a worthwhile
bet !

Colin Wilson August 20th 09 09:50 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

Just hiding behind a hyphen
http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/

They don't list that model anymore :o(

Colin Wilson August 20th 09 09:52 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

If you have a leak somewhere that's letting air in, it could be anywhere
in the system not necessarily in the boiler

It's not a pressurised system either, so could be anywhere :-}

You might find that your auto bleed valve isn't working properly, it
will be somewhere at the top of the boiler and is usually gold in colour
and circular with a screw top an inch and a half in diameter and two
inches tall

I'll check it out over the next few days...

Check out the joints in the boiler to see if there is evidence of water
leaks especially around the heat exchanger
The only other (continually) moving parts in the boiler are the fan,
and the pump if its part of the boiler

No sign of leakage internally, and the pump is seperate :-}

geoff August 20th 09 10:21 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

In message ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
writes
...possibly - Ed or the other chap who repairs PCBs might have one to
hand,

The bloke who repairs PCBS ?
You mean the one who pays other people to repair them for him ...

He's got enough positive feedback for me to consider him a worthwhile
bet !

I still don't repair them myself much any more

--
geoff

Heliotrope Smith[_2_] August 20th 09 10:30 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message ...
Does anyone happen to have a manual for one of these to hand please ?

(I don't know which specific model it is from the range atm)

I'm just trying to work out what's making it run so noisily - the rads
are bled, but even with them off it sounds like it's pumping a huge
amount of air around the system (gurgling like a b*stard to be more
precise)

I've just tried to lower the temp at the boiler end in case it was
kettling causing it (don't normally notice if it is, as it's in a
garage)

If your system is open vented then check the feed & expansion tank (probably
in the loft). The float valve may have stuck causing the tank to run dry, a
few yanks up and down usually frees it and gets the water running again.
Alternatively if the tank is full then check that the cold feed is not
blocked where it tees into the system.

Colin Wilson August 21st 09 11:10 AM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

If your system is open vented then check the feed & expansion tank (probably
in the loft). The float valve may have stuck causing the tank to run dry, a
few yanks up and down usually frees it and gets the water running again.
Alternatively if the tank is full then check that the cold feed is not
blocked where it tees into the system.

Thanks for that - we've already drained and refilled it a few times
recently while decorating, and everything seems to work as normal
though :-}

Heliotrope Smith[_2_] August 26th 09 07:27 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message ...
If your system is open vented then check the feed & expansion tank

(probably
in the loft). The float valve may have stuck causing the tank to run

dry, a
few yanks up and down usually frees it and gets the water running again.
Alternatively if the tank is full then check that the cold feed is not
blocked where it tees into the system.

Thanks for that - we've already drained and refilled it a few times
recently while decorating, and everything seems to work as normal
though :-}

It certainly seems like an air problem then if it has been drained &
refilled several times.

You should be able to vent most of the air through the pump vent screw.

Loosen the screw and run the boiler. Put a container or piece of rag under
the pump to catch the drips.

Colin Wilson August 26th 09 10:23 PM

Boiler manual - Glow worm Space Saver mk2

It certainly seems like an air problem then if it has been drained &
refilled several times.
You should be able to vent most of the air through the pump vent screw.
Loosen the screw and run the boiler. Put a container or piece of rag under
the pump to catch the drips.

Ahh, I didn't know they had one, i'll have a look tomorrow :-)

(only ever had a combi before this)