DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   re-grouting - dig it out or is there an easier way? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/284918-re-grouting-dig-out-there-easier-way.html)

peter August 18th 09 02:43 PM

re-grouting - dig it out or is there an easier way?

I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?
Thanks

Simon[_10_] August 18th 09 03:33 PM

On 18 Aug, 14:43, peter wrote:
I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?
Thanks

Our new bathrooms at work have the grout coloured with a grout paint
from day one,
presumably to make it super-white, so it appears to work.
Whether its so good on old greasy grout I'm not so sure. They are
cheap so its
worth a try. Raking out is best, but its not a nice job, and hard not
to slip and damage
the tiles.
Simon.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 18th 09 04:01 PM

peter wrote:
I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?
Thanks

dig out most. clean up with brick acid or similar.

NT[_2_] August 18th 09 04:19 PM

On Aug 18, 2:43*pm, peter wrote:
I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?
Thanks

If the grout is good and sound, scrape the surface and smear white
tile grout on with your finger. Job done.

If grout isnt sound, remove it with a grout rake or bradawl.

NT

Lobster August 18th 09 05:22 PM

Simon wrote:
On 18 Aug, 14:43, peter wrote:
I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?

Our new bathrooms at work have the grout coloured with a grout paint
from day one,
presumably to make it super-white, so it appears to work.
Whether its so good on old greasy grout I'm not so sure. They are
cheap so its
worth a try. Raking out is best, but its not a nice job, and hard not
to slip and damage
the tiles.

Totally agree. I've tried a pen thingy in a tenanted property not long
ago, and when the tenants left after about 9 months it still looked OK.
So, probably worth giving it a go at least and you can judge whether
the effort of a proper job will be worth it next time.

David

devonsteve August 18th 09 09:18 PM

On Aug 18, 2:43*pm, peter wrote:
I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?
Thanks

Hi Peter
I cleaned mine by spraying it with a bleach solution ,
approx 30% bleach, leaving it for 24 hrs and then rinsing off , It
removed what mould was there and all came up really white. Might be
worth a try before raking it all out.
Devonsteve

PeterC August 18th 09 09:41 PM

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:22:21 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Simon wrote:
On 18 Aug, 14:43, peter wrote:
I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?

Our new bathrooms at work have the grout coloured with a grout paint
from day one,
presumably to make it super-white, so it appears to work.
Whether its so good on old greasy grout I'm not so sure. They are
cheap so its
worth a try. Raking out is best, but its not a nice job, and hard not
to slip and damage
the tiles.

Totally agree. I've tried a pen thingy in a tenanted property not long
ago, and when the tenants left after about 9 months it still looked OK.
So, probably worth giving it a go at least and you can judge whether
the effort of a proper job will be worth it next time.

David

Aldi, on Thursday 20/8, have these pens:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...09-08-17-15-36
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

js.b1 August 19th 09 12:59 AM

re-grouting - dig it out or is there an easier way?

A grout rake requires a grout line a) wide enough to accept them and
b) edge-glazed tiles.

Applying a grout rake to non-edge-glazed tiles (such as those glazed
only on 3 or 2 sides) will rip bits of the tile face off. Better to
use a stanley knife with a lot of blades and kevlar gloves (because
you will slip).

fred August 19th 09 11:47 AM

re-grouting - dig it out or is there an easier way?

In article
,
devonsteve writes
On Aug 18, 2:43*pm, peter wrote:
I need to refresh some old yellowed wall tile grout - are those paint
pens any good or am I stuck with raking it out and re-filling?
Thanks

Hi Peter
I cleaned mine by spraying it with a bleach solution ,
approx 30% bleach, leaving it for 24 hrs and then rinsing off , It
removed what mould was there and all came up really white. Might be
worth a try before raking it all out.

Thick bleach is good for this too, paint on, leave for 30mins, scrub
with nail brush and repeat throughout the day as a background task.
--
fred