Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'T' hinge of sorts?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some double ended T hinges (so not a T at all
actually) so I can split a big door on a wooden garden / bike / tool
store down into two.

ie, Atm there are two 3' x 3' doors conventionally hinged on the
outside and outer edges using traditional galvanised T hinges. I would
like to be able to just open (outward) an 'inner' pair of doors
(hinges on the outside), only opening the whole door if I need full
access (like getting a cycle in / out).

So this but with both sides symmetrical (but not the std hinge bit of
course). ;-)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/oduezq

So, assuming such things exist, what are they called please and where
could I get them from (they only need to be light duty, no wrought
iron farmyard duty needed). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some double ended T hinges (so not a T at all
actually) so I can split a big door on a wooden garden / bike / tool
store down into two.

ie, Atm there are two 3' x 3' doors conventionally hinged on the
outside and outer edges using traditional galvanised T hinges. I would
like to be able to just open (outward) an 'inner' pair of doors
(hinges on the outside), only opening the whole door if I need full
access (like getting a cycle in / out).

So this but with both sides symmetrical (but not the std hinge bit of
course). ;-)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/oduezq

So, assuming such things exist, what are they called please and where
could I get them from (they only need to be light duty, no wrought
iron farmyard duty needed). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I think I see what you are asking for. I have a door & a half
arrangement on my workshop with the extra half being useful to get
bigger machines in and out. I have just used standard butt hinges let
into the edges of the doors.
I've not seen a 'double tee' hinge for sale.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:00:23 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/oduezq

So, assuming such things exist, what are they called please and where
could I get them from (they only need to be light duty, no wrought
iron farmyard duty needed). ;-)

I think I see what you are asking for.

;-)

I have a door & a half
arrangement on my workshop with the extra half being useful to get
bigger machines in and out. I have just used standard butt hinges let
into the edges of the doors.

Ok. I was thinking of making them Bi-Fold (with the hinges on the
inside of the split doors) but that sorta defeats the object of
leaving at least 1/2 the doors in place most the time etc.

I've not seen a 'double tee' hinge for sale.

Ok and thanks for the feedback.

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Aug, 13:36, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some double ended T hinges (so not a T at all
actually) so I can split a big door on a wooden garden / bike / tool
store down into two.

I have a niggling feeling I have seen these somewhere, sometime, but I
can't put my finger on where or when. Nearest I can find now are H or
HL hinges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/oduezq

So, assuming such things exist, what are they called please and where
could I get them from (they only need to be light duty, no wrought
iron farmyard duty needed). ;-)

I think I see what you are asking for.

;-)

I have a door & a half
arrangement on my workshop with the extra half being useful to get
bigger machines in and out. I have just used standard butt hinges let
into the edges of the doors.

Ok. I was thinking of making them Bi-Fold (with the hinges on the
inside of the split doors) but that sorta defeats the object of
leaving at least 1/2 the doors in place most the time etc.

I've not seen a 'double tee' hinge for sale.

Ok and thanks for the feedback.

T i m

I would describe what I have as bi-fold. There is a half door hung off
the door frame (and this is normally bolted shut) and full door hung of
the half door which is used for normal everyday entry.
Three hinges per pivot.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:34:21 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

I would describe what I have as bi-fold. There is a half door hung off
the door frame (and this is normally bolted shut) and full door hung of
the half door which is used for normal everyday entry.
Three hinges per pivot.

And does the 'main' door open inwards or outwards Bob?

I did similar with my workshop doors. It came with an 8' square
up_and_over that only I could open and close (6'2" and gibbon arms).

I built a 6'6" high steel sub frame with opening wired-glass windows
above and 3 equal sized steel doors below. The l/h door is the
personal door and is hinged on the lhs. The right two doors, if you
took the first one would only open as one big door (as the hinges
where the doors join are on the inside). So, if you want to open them
folded you have to pull out there they join and middle door folds back
on the rhs door (inside to inside). That is what I thought was Bi-Fold
but it could well mean any doors folding back on themselves?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:01:56 -0700 (PDT), Bolted
wrote:

On 13 Aug, 13:36, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some double ended T hinges (so not a T at all
actually) so I can split a big door on a wooden garden / bike / tool
store down into two.

I have a niggling feeling I have seen these somewhere, sometime, but I
can't put my finger on where or when.

Me too, annoying isn't it. ;-(

Nearest I can find now are H or
HL hinges.

I initially thought I could make my own by using two 'T' hinges and
just knocking out the pins etc but of course the actually components
are 'handed' (where the "T" parts are always the outside component to
the hinge).

Then I thought of cutting and MIG'ing but these are galvanised ...

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some double ended T hinges (so not a T at all
actually) so I can split a big door on a wooden garden / bike / tool
store down into two.

ie, Atm there are two 3' x 3' doors conventionally hinged on the
outside and outer edges using traditional galvanised T hinges. I would
like to be able to just open (outward) an 'inner' pair of doors
(hinges on the outside), only opening the whole door if I need full
access (like getting a cycle in / out).

So this but with both sides symmetrical (but not the std hinge bit of
course). ;-)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/oduezq

So, assuming such things exist, what are they called please and where
could I get them from (they only need to be light duty, no wrought
iron farmyard duty needed). ;-)

A standard hinge would do the job surely? Or am I missing something?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:06:57 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
[...]

Erm, well, I'm pretty sure a std hinge would work but I assumed there
was a reason these gate / 'T' hinges were designed the way they were
(to support the thin panels or some such)?

T i m?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Both doors open inwards. Not quite the same as your definition of
Bi-fold which may well be the correct one.
The joint between the two doors are rebated so form an effective seal
when closed.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13 Aug, 13:36, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some double ended T hinges (so not a T at all
actually) so I can split a big door on a wooden garden / bike / tool
store down into two.

I have a niggling feeling I have seen these somewhere, sometime, but I
can't put my finger on where or when.

http://www.romark.co.uk/itemdisplay.asp?item=H0191.jpg

I just popped down to B&Q and there they were. ;-)

'Strap hinge' .. ;-)

Thanks to all those etc ..

T i m

A bit off topic.... but DIY of sorts. lynd UK diy 16 April 9th 05 09:33 PM
Lid Hinge ENGLISH Woodworking 1 March 26th 05 01:42 PM
What to use as a hinge fo barry martin Home Repair 3 October 17th 04 04:28 PM