Posted to uk.d-i-y
bp bp is offline

Default Lifting up Laminate flooring

Hi

I have done somethnig which I originally thought was a good idea but
now am not so sure.

When I decided to put down laminate flooring in the front room I
decided to replace the skirting at the same time. This was to prevent
me have to fix beading all round the edge to cover the gap you have to
leave for laminate floooring.

Now the kids have cracked two planks of flooring in the middle of the
room. The skirting was glued and screwed to the wall. I screwed the
holes below the surface of the skirting and filled them in and then
painted over them (proper job I thought). Now I cant tell where the
screws are to remove them. I cant see a way to remove the flloring
without removing the skirting.

Thinking about It I dont a way of just removing the odd plank either
as I have a fireplace and bay window. It looks like I may have to
remove over half of the skirting ( which I dont really want to do)

I cant fix the boards in situ - they are too far gone.

Is there a neat trick that will get the boards up with removing the
skirting.

Thanks

Bhupesh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bp wrote:
Hi

I have done somethnig which I originally thought was a good idea but
now am not so sure.

When I decided to put down laminate flooring in the front room I
decided to replace the skirting at the same time. This was to prevent
me have to fix beading all round the edge to cover the gap you have to
leave for laminate floooring.

Now the kids have cracked two planks of flooring in the middle of the
room. The skirting was glued and screwed to the wall. I screwed the
holes below the surface of the skirting and filled them in and then
painted over them (proper job I thought). Now I cant tell where the
screws are to remove them. I cant see a way to remove the flloring
without removing the skirting.

When you remove the skirting ;-) you can find the screws with a
cable/metal detector. It's how I found the hole for the rotary clothes
line, in the grass.

Thinking about It I dont a way of just removing the odd plank either
as I have a fireplace and bay window. It looks like I may have to
remove over half of the skirting ( which I dont really want to do)

I cant fix the boards in situ - they are too far gone.

Is there a neat trick that will get the boards up with removing the
skirting.

Thanks

Bhupesh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bp wrote:
Hi

Is there a neat trick that will get the boards up with removing the
skirting.

One technique I remember reading to remove a single board is to drill 4
holes in it, one by each corner, then cut between the holes to form a
rectangle that can be easily removed (removes ~70-90% of the material),
then by prying (maybe weakening with a couple of small drill holes) bend
and snap the remaining material along the long edges into the hole left
by the process above.

That's to take the board out.

To replace with the new board, carefully cut the lower lip of the
"grooved" part of the replacement board to allow it to drop into place
easily. I'm guessing glue will be your friend at this stage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bp" wrote in message
[...]

Depending on the screws used you could use a magnet to find them.
I done something similar but the magnet found them fine.
Have a look at the skirting and guess where you would insert screws if you
were just fitting the boards now. Chances are it will be there or there
abouts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bp wrote:

I cant fix the boards in situ - they are too far gone.

With a small circular saw set to board depth cut away a board leaving a
small margin at each of the joins. If it is click together stuff then
the remaining bits can be pulled free. If glued, then use a chisel at an
angle to knock the remaining wood away from the glueline. You will need
to rip the lower part of the groove away from the replacement boards to
be able to get them back in the hole. Glue in place (even if it is a
click together floor system)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:

When you remove the skirting ;-) you can find the screws with a
cable/metal detector. It's how I found the hole for the rotary clothes
line, in the grass.

I thought it was just me ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
bp wrote:

I cant fix the boards in situ - they are too far gone.

With a small circular saw set to board depth cut away a board leaving a
small margin at each of the joins. If it is click together stuff then the
remaining bits can be pulled free. If glued, then use a chisel at an angle
to knock the remaining wood away from the glueline. You will need to rip
the lower part of the groove away from the replacement boards to be able
to get them back in the hole. Glue in place (even if it is a click
together floor system)

--
Cheers,

John.

I suspect that the replacement will be slightly higher due to it not having
the bottom of the groove to apply a tension to it + the thickness of the
glue and the upward push of the underlay stuff.

Laminate Flooring SteveC Home Repair 11 April 23rd 07 10:24 PM
Lifting Chipboard flooring over pipe holes. richard lawes UK diy 1 April 13th 07 01:28 PM
Lifting laminate Amos UK diy 3 May 31st 06 01:32 AM
Lifting tongue and groove flooring Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 April 16th 06 09:23 AM
Lifting Vinyl Flooring [email protected] UK diy 7 June 18th 04 12:11 PM