Mick

Default How to test a cordless drill/charger?

Hello all
My trusted B and D drill/screwdriver has decided not to recharge. Can
anyone guide me to a website that will give simple instructions on using a
Multimeter ( LCD display) to test whether it's the drill or the charger at
fault......Please :-)
Thanks
Mick

2nd post original gone awol :-)

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mick wrote:
My trusted B and D drill/screwdriver has decided not to recharge. Can
anyone guide me to a website that will give simple instructions on using
a Multimeter ( LCD display) to test whether it's the drill or the
charger at fault......Please :-)

A very simple check would be to measure the output voltage of the charger
while it's disconnected but switched on - this will be *very*
approximately the same as the voltage the drill works on, although it
might well be twice or more higher off load.

If there is a voltage there that is higher than the drill voltage, the
next step is to measure the current flowing while on charge. This will
require some dismantling to wire the meter in series with the power
supply, and without knowing the individual set up it's not easy to give
advice - except not to mess with actual part that contains the mains
transformer.

But by far the most likely thing is that the battery has failed. If the
drill has a plug in battery, I'd take a chance and just replace it - if
you can find one at a price less than a new drill. If the batteries are
built in, as on some screwdrivers, you'll need to open it up for access.
Spare cells are available from Maplin etc - you'll need Sub-C size and
tagged so they can be soldered. But again, these might cost as much as a
complete new unit. Sad but true. A separate battery pack can again usually
be opened with some ingenuity and the cells replaced, but each cell
(divide the device voltage by 1.2 to tell how many it has - ie a 7.2 volt
drill will have 6) will cost between 2-4 quid depending on spec and where
bought.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Mick

Dave

Thanks for the simple test idea.. I have done this and get a reading of 12
volts which seems to suggest the charger is ok.... I must admit I was
reluctant to use the multimeter on a connected device..
I have had an unsuccessful go at dismantling the drill..........Will try
again tomorrow :-).
I think I go along with your "far more likely scenario" the batteries.
Thanks again
Mick

BillR

Mick wrote:
Dave

Thanks for the simple test idea.. I have done this and get a reading
of 12 volts which seems to suggest the charger is ok.... I must admit
I was reluctant to use the multimeter on a connected device..
I have had an unsuccessful go at dismantling the drill..........Will
try again tomorrow :-).
I think I go along with your "far more likely scenario" the
batteries. Thanks again
Mick

maybe of note that Lidl were flogging off 12v drill batteries for £9.99.
They seemed to have no drill to go with them...
The cells from these could be use to get another working, for 3 weeks anyway
:-)

Mick

Bill
Thanks for that........Was in Lidl's the other day and will look a bit
closer next time :-)
Mick

TimM

"Mick" wrote in message
Hello all
My trusted B and D drill/screwdriver has decided not to recharge. Can
anyone guide me to a website that will give simple instructions on using a
Multimeter ( LCD display) to test whether it's the drill or the charger at
fault......Please :-)
Thanks
Mick

You might find these people useful. I haven't used them, but bookmarked it
for the day I do...

http://www.geocities.com/powerbatteries/index.html

RCCB not tripping when test button pushed James W UK diy 9 September 27th 03 12:14 AM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 10:28 PM
B&Q PPPro cordless 4-pack - any good? John Stumbles UK diy 10 September 25th 03 05:40 PM
What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill) Grunff UK diy 43 September 19th 03 11:54 AM