DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Clear decking oil - recommendations (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/281290-clear-decking-oil-recommendations.html)

larkim June 29th 09 09:58 AM

Clear decking oil - recommendations

Just pressure washed the decking for the first time this year, and boy
did it need it! Now back to looking "new" again, and I hear that
decking oil is the way to go for a bit of protection. I don't want to
affect the colour of the wood if possible (it is the usual pressure
treated / tanalised ridged decking). Are there any recommendations on
the choice of decking oil?

Screwfix do a cleaner and oil combination pack from Ronseal, which
appears to be "natural" colour.

THey also do Cuprinol's "natural pine".

Does anyone have any experience with either? Before I go ahead, what
should I expect to happen to the surface of the wood when it is
applied? Will it have a sheen?

Thanks!

Matt

larkim July 2nd 09 08:46 AM

On Jun 29, 9:58*am, larkim wrote:
Just pressure washed thedeckingfor the first time this year, and boy
did it need it! *Now back to looking "new" again, and I hear thatdeckingoilis the way to go for a bit of protection. *I don't want to
affect the colour of the wood if possible (it is the usual pressure
treated / tanalised ridgeddecking). *Are there any recommendations on
the choice ofdeckingoil?

Screwfix do a cleaner andoilcombination pack from Ronseal, which
appears to be "natural" colour.

THey also do Cuprinol's "natural pine".

Does anyone have any experience with either? *Before I go ahead, what
should I expect to happen to the surface of the wood when it is
applied? *Will it have a sheen?

Thanks!

Matt

I don't normally "bump" my usenet postings, so please forgive me this
once. At £30 per tin, its not the sort of stuff I want to shell out
on, test on a patch of spare timber, only to find that it affects the
colour of the wood more than I would want. And in the longer term, if
there is experience which someone has of the durability of the
different brands that would also help to make a good decision.

Any help / advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Matt

The Medway Handyman July 5th 09 01:06 PM

larkim wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:58 am, larkim wrote:
[...]

Haven't noticed any difference in durability between cheap & big brands - I
suspect there are not that many plants making the stuff in the UK?

The clear ones have much the same effect on colour as wetting the deck does,
if that helps. Don't personally like the coloured decking oils, they look a
bit false like coloured varnish does.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk