DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   plastic water tank flexing (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/280538-plastic-water-tank-flexing.html)

george (dicegeorge) June 18th 09 11:32 AM

plastic water tank flexing

Should a plastic water tank be reinforced to stop it flexing when the
ballcock goes up and down?

I've been replacing the rusty metal tanks with plastic ones,
and thinking that every time the ballcock goes up and down
it flexes the plastic, which could break after a few years.

The one I put in a few days ago overflowed last night.

I could move the holes lower.
any advice please?

[g]

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....mbing_Articles
doesnt help with cold water plumbing

Tim S June 18th 09 11:37 AM

plastic water tank flexing

george (dicegeorge) coughed up some electrons that declared:

Should a plastic water tank be reinforced to stop it flexing when the
ballcock goes up and down?

I've been replacing the rusty metal tanks with plastic ones,
and thinking that every time the ballcock goes up and down
it flexes the plastic, which could break after a few years.

The one I put in a few days ago overflowed last night.

I could move the holes lower.
any advice please?

[g]

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....mbing_Articles
doesnt help with cold water plumbing

There's a metal plate with a hole in, about 2-3" square that you can buy (or
make) to mount the ballcock through which helps alleviate this.

I wouldn't mount a ballcock on a polythene tank without one.

GRP tanks are stronger but even so, I'd still use a plate.

Cheers

Tim

David Hansen June 18th 09 12:06 PM

plastic water tank flexing

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:32:59 +0100 someone who may be "george
(dicegeorge)" wrote this:-

Should a plastic water tank be reinforced to stop it flexing when the
ballcock goes up and down?

Yes, normally.

However, if the inlet pipe is adequately supported then the tank
will not flex. Adequately supported includes a fixing of the pipe
within a few cm of the ballcock. This can be done if there is
something solid like a brick wall very near to the tank, which is
unlikely in most cases.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh