Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another mystery tool

Any ideas what it may be?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....#Pointy_ tool

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Any ideas what it may be?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....#Pointy_ tool

Do you have the dimensions? I've seen similar-looking tools used by
weavers of basketry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 1:39*am, S Viemeister wrote:
NT wrote:
Any ideas what it may be?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....ied_diying_obj....

Do you have the dimensions? *I've seen similar-looking tools used by
weavers of basketry.

The whole thing's 5" long, making the rubber handle very small. What's
easy to miss in the pics is that there is an inlaid piece of metal at
the tip - I'm guessing TC tipped. If it is TC I assume that would rule
out basketry, unless some very tough new species are being used now

I guess TC means masonry, glass or ceramics.
I wondered about glass cutting, but it lacks the usual glass cutter
features.
I cant think what use it would serve with ceramics

I can't imagine why anyone would use a tiny tipped handtool on
masonry, unless to carve fine detail into it. But its not the sort of
shape I'd expect of any type of chisel. And the tip is well worn, but
no sign whatever of any hammering or wear at the other end.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI NT

NT wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure it's for cutting ceramic tiles - simple 'score-snap'
approach - fine for thin tiles and straight cuts.

I have a similar tool in the shed - basically a piece of square-section
bar with the end shaped so it tapers to a 'wedge'. Set into the sharp
end of the wedge is a piece of TC.

Yours is shaped so that the 'scoring' tip can sit cose to a ruler or
other guide for accurate scoring...

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 07:02:24 +0100, adrian wrote:

HI NT

NT wrote:
[...]

Or could it be a cutting tool for a lathe (or other machine tool) that's
been adapted for manual use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

adrian wrote:
HI NT

NT wrote:
[...]

Yours is shaped so that the 'scoring' tip can sit close to a ruler or
other guide for accurate scoring...

I've got/had one exactly the same, very crudely made really. Mine had a
soft plastic bit moulded on the other end. 'Cintride' rings a bell.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 7:02*am, adrian wrote:
HI NT

NT wrote:
[...]

That was quickly solved!

Can it be used for anything else, given that I dont want a tile
scorer?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Any ideas what it may be?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....#Pointy_ tool

NT

Tile cutter. The hardened bit is used to scribe the tile, which is then
split across two matchsticks.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:20:28 -0700, NT wrote:

Any ideas what it may be?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....#Pointy_ tool

NT

If it's not a tile scriber it might be an artist's scribing tool for
preparing metal etching / printing plates.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
Any ideas what it may be?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....#Pointy_ tool

Depending upon what the insert is, it could be a grinding wheel dressing
tool.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 14 June, 01:20, NT wrote:
Any ideas what it may be?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....ied_diying_obj...

NT

Looks like a tile scribe to me - got one in the garage somewhere....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 June, 14:13, Cicero wrote:

If it's not a tile scriber it might be an artist's scribing tool for
preparing metal etching / printing *plates.

Graver or burin

This one's a tile scribe though - Cintride the maker? If you look
closely, you can just see the carbide insert.

Mystery tool- what is it? texasjim1093 Metalworking 3 June 15th 08 08:08 PM
Mystery Tool Steve Mulhollan[_3_] Metalworking 7 May 21st 08 07:12 AM
Mystery tool rastus Metalworking 14 October 25th 05 09:31 PM
Yet another mystery tool David Billington Metalworking 15 August 9th 05 06:46 PM
mystery tool Grant Erwin Metalworking 19 May 23rd 05 04:58 PM