DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Telephone Extension Cable (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/28-telephone-extension-cable.html)

Tony Hayes July 3rd 03 02:12 PM

Telephone Extension Cable

Is it OK to run telephone extension cable normally sold for indoor use on
the outside, or is there a specific cable for the job? It will be a far
easier job for me to take the cable outside and back into the other side of
the house than running it inside.

Thanks,
Tony

Owain July 3rd 03 02:27 PM

Telephone Extension Cable

"Tony Hayes" wrote
| Is it OK to run telephone extension cable normally sold for indoor use on
| the outside, or is there a specific cable for the job? It will be a far
| easier job for me to take the cable outside and back into the other side
of
| the house than running it inside.

There is special stuff sold for the job

Try http://www.tmilimited.co.uk/

Owain

[email protected] July 3rd 03 04:23 PM

Telephone Extension Cable

Huge wrote:
Tony Hayes writes:
Is it OK to run telephone extension cable normally sold for indoor use on
the outside,

No. The UV in the sunlight will destroy the PVC insulation.

.... but only after a long time and if the cable run is exposed to a
lot of (sun)light. If, for example, it runs along under the eaves it
will last for years with no problem.

or is there a specific cable for the job?

Yes. Exterior grade telephone cable... :o)

Probably not quite so easy to come by as 'ordinary' telephone cable
but I'm sure it's available.

--
Chris Green )