Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default World Oil Production to Peak in 2013

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

It is a pity really. I would have ben interested if there had been
anything
like the scheme he described under consideration.

Oh. what was that? he's killfiled here so I don't get tempted to get
sucked into a pointless dialogue.

Colin said he wasn't going to revisit this thread so I will try to answer.

IIRC the current point at issue is Dribble's claim: "Cambridge feel
confident. Do a Google" which relates back to his earlier claim that
tidal lagoons occupying 20% of the Irish Sea could provide all of
Ireland's and Britain's energy needs. Dribble is unable to substantiate
the Cambridge connection and I am not at all sure that the source for
the earlier claim has surfaced either (assuming that 2 different sources
are involved).

I've met people like that..they soak up half misunderstood ideas from
all over and regurgitate it all mixed up. There's usually a source
somewhere, but its been bent to suit the prejudices of the babbler, so
far that for all practical purposes its useless.

Dribble to a T. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

It is a pity really. I would have ben interested if there had been
anything
like the scheme he described under consideration.

Oh. what was that? he's killfiled here so I don't get tempted to get
sucked into a pointless dialogue.

Colin said he wasn't going to revisit this thread so I will try to answer.

IIRC the current point at issue is Dribble's claim: "Cambridge feel
confident. Do a Google" which relates back to his earlier claim that
tidal lagoons occupying 20% of the Irish Sea could provide all of
Ireland's and Britain's energy needs. Dribble is unable to substantiate
the Cambridge connection and I am not at all sure that the source for
the earlier claim has surfaced either (assuming that 2 different sources
are involved).

Now work out the cost and the concrete needed to convert 20% of the
Irish sea into a tidal lagoon.

A spaceship tethered by a high voltage cable to earth, and somewhere in
the vicinity of venus with a set of solar panels the size of london
could also do the job.

Simples!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

It is a pity really. I would have ben interested if there had been
anything like the scheme he described under consideration.

Oh. what was that? he's killfiled here so I don't get tempted to get
sucked into a pointless dialogue.

Colin said he wasn't going to revisit this thread so I will try to
answer.

Well, I wouldn't have replied to any more of Dribble posts anyway..

IIRC the current point at issue is Dribble's claim: "Cambridge feel
confident. Do a Google" which relates back to his earlier claim that
tidal lagoons occupying 20% of the Irish Sea could provide all of
Ireland's and Britain's energy needs. Dribble is unable to substantiate
the Cambridge connection

He didn't specify which bit of Cambridge either. It could have been
Cambridge City Council for all we know. However, even if it were Cambridge
University, that would only make me more suspicious that it was nothing more
than a theorist's pipe dream.

and I am not at all sure that the source for
the earlier claim has surfaced either (assuming that 2 different sources
are involved).

He has steadfastly refused to provide any source for any of his claims.

Now work out the cost and the concrete needed to convert 20% of the Irish
sea into a tidal lagoon.

He claimed that it would require no more work than was put into building the
railways in the 19th century. He dropped that line when I pointed out that
was a century's worth of major civil engineering projects. However,
Liverpool University is investigating the environmental impact of building
tidal barriers across just about every estuary in the NW, which, it is
claimed, would provide all the electrical power NW England needs.

A spaceship tethered by a high voltage cable to earth, and somewhere in
the vicinity of venus with a set of solar panels the size of london could
also do the job.

Don't say that. The Greens will want to build one.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these
words:

I find it silly, rather than annoying. However, this post has now moved
too far down the group for me to be bothered to keep trying to find it
again, so he can have it to himself.

It is a pity really. I would have ben interested if there had been
anything like the scheme he described under consideration.

I suspect a number of us would be interested in details of a real scheme
but all indications are that this particular scheme exists only in
Dribble's fantasy world where the normal rules of science and commerce
do not apply.

What kills nearly all alternative energy schemes is the energy density.
You need BIG engineering to get megawatts, whereas fossil stuff and
nuclear is far more effective a use of constructional materials and land
area. And generates gigawatts.

That is just about where Dribble and I started, when I said it would be a
lot easier to build nuclear power stations than his Irish Sea scheme.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

It is a pity really. I would have ben interested if there had been
anything
like the scheme he described under consideration.

Oh. what was that? he's killfiled here so I don't get tempted to get
sucked into a pointless dialogue.

Colin

This plantpot needs electronic tagging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now work out the cost and the concrete needed to convert 20% of the Irish
sea into a tidal lagoon.

A spaceship tethered by a high voltage cable to earth, and somewhere in
the vicinity of venus with a set of solar panels the size of london could
also do the job.

This is what snotty unis turn out. I would send bulldozers through the lot
of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

He claimed that it would require no more work than was put into building
the railways in the 19th century.

Correct.

He dropped that line

He never.

You neeed tagging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

I find it silly, rather than annoying. However, this post has now moved
too
far down the group for me to be bothered to keep trying to find it
again, so
he can have it to himself.

It

This one needs sectioning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whereas fossil stuff and nuclear is far more effective

This man is the anti-Christ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

when I said it would be a lot easier to build nuclear power stations than
his Irish Sea scheme.

Another idiotic anti-Christ!