Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is under the vinyl flooring?

I am about to lay vinyl flooring in my kitchen. On the floor at the
moment are 25 year old Marley tiles

I have been warned that these are stuck down with bitumen which can
seep through and discolour my vinyl flooring. I dont want to take up
the tiles+bitumen, it would be a horrible job and the floor would end
up a lot less flat then it is now

so before I lay the vinyl I want to put down something which is
impermeable to bitumen. Suggestions so far are

- Hardboard
- Latex
- Plastic sheet

Or am I just looking for work? Bitumen seep has not caused me problems
so far

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
I am about to lay vinyl flooring in my kitchen. On the floor at the
moment are 25 year old Marley tiles

I have been warned that these are stuck down with bitumen which can
seep through and discolour my vinyl flooring. I dont want to take up
the tiles+bitumen, it would be a horrible job and the floor would end
up a lot less flat then it is now

so before I lay the vinyl I want to put down something which is
impermeable to bitumen. Suggestions so far are

- Hardboard
- Latex
- Plastic sheet

Or am I just looking for work? Bitumen seep has not caused me problems
so far

I would have thought the possibility of seepage was remote after 25 years -
the bitumen will be rock hard and dry by now. I would take up an
inconspicuous tile. If the bitumen is still plastic you might want to adopt
one of the suggested techniques. If you have to chip it off, I wouldn't
bother.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:

I am about to lay vinyl flooring in my kitchen. On the floor at the
moment are 25 year old Marley tiles

I have been warned that these are stuck down with bitumen which can
seep through and discolour my vinyl flooring. I dont want to take up
the tiles+bitumen, it would be a horrible job and the floor would end
up a lot less flat then it is now

so before I lay the vinyl I want to put down something which is
impermeable to bitumen. Suggestions so far are

- Hardboard
- Latex
- Plastic sheet

Or am I just looking for work? Bitumen seep has not caused me problems
so far

How are you planning to fix the sheet material you are thinking
of putting over the tiles? The flatness and permanence of the
finished floor would completely depend upon this. Are you laying
tiles or sheet vinyl?

AIUI, any professional tiler would simply rip out all the
existing tiles and pour a self-leveling screed.

OTOH if there is no evidence of bitumen visible on your existing
tiles, why should it trouble your new ones?

When I had my kitchen done, the flooring guy used one of those
long-handled scrapers, and lifted the original tiles, older than
yours, plus the sheet material which had been stuck on top, very
quickly.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote

I am about to lay vinyl flooring in my kitchen. On the floor at the
moment are 25 year old Marley tiles

I have been warned that these are stuck down with bitumen which can
seep through and discolour my vinyl flooring. I dont want to take up
the tiles+bitumen, it would be a horrible job and the floor would end
up a lot less flat then it is now

so before I lay the vinyl I want to put down something which is
impermeable to bitumen. Suggestions so far are

- Hardboard
- Latex
- Plastic sheet

Or am I just looking for work? Bitumen seep has not caused me problems
so far

I had some damp issues due to a long leaking under floor pipe - before we
bought our current 1970s house.
The damp had got well under most of the downstairs tiles so I lifted them.
Subsequent visitors for other works - builders, leak detection guys and the
like - have said that these form an additional damp proofing barrier (the
DPMs used in those days were wafer thin).
So if there's no sign of problems I'd be inclined to leave them be

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2009 08:20:01 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

I would have thought the possibility of seepage was remote after 25
years - the bitumen will be rock hard and dry by now.

Until the plasticisers in the new vinyl leach out into the bitumen. B-)

If the marley tiles are in good nick no bits missing along the tile edges
and no gaps bewteen them I'd be tempted just to lay the vinly (roll?)
straight on to them. It is a sound smooth floor after all...

If the marley tiles are not in good enough condition I'd investigate how
they are fixed. Bitumen would be a right PITA and would need sealing
somehow, you won't get all of it out of the substrate it is on. A self
leveling screed of some sort would be my prefered option making sure the
maker said that bitumen won't leach through. Anna might be lucky and find
them fixed with "Evo Stick" or even self adhesive. Evo Stick would be a
PITA to remove and may still require a screed or other covering to get a
smooth floor for the vinyl but at least it doesn't leach.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Vinyl flooring Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 1 February 3rd 09 03:52 PM
Vinyl Flooring pakdog[_2_] Home Repair 4 August 6th 08 11:28 PM
Vinyl Flooring [email protected] Home Repair 0 July 10th 06 01:24 PM
Gap in vinyl flooring smithfarms pure kona Home Repair 4 May 22nd 05 05:08 AM
Vinyl Flooring Over Old Vinyl Backer Terry Smith Home Repair 1 September 10th 04 03:31 AM