Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance phone calls - how to stop them?

In article ,
Invisible Man wrote:
Despite numerous complaints and assurances in the past BT are once more
making marketing calls to me from 08003289393. Yet another complaint to
BT and to the TPS.
BT have to be the most appalling company in the UK to try and deal with
- unless of course the Carphone Warehouse Group are as bad as they used
to be. At least I can avoid dealing with them and have for the last 2 or
3 years.

If you obtain your telephone service from BT, sales calls from them aren't
covered by the TPS, as you are already a 'valued customer'. ;-(

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Invisible Man wrote:
Despite numerous complaints and assurances in the past BT are once more
making marketing calls to me from 08003289393. Yet another complaint to
BT and to the TPS.
BT have to be the most appalling company in the UK to try and deal with
- unless of course the Carphone Warehouse Group are as bad as they used
to be. At least I can avoid dealing with them and have for the last 2 or
3 years.

If you obtain your telephone service from BT, sales calls from them aren't
covered by the TPS, as you are already a 'valued customer'. ;-(

.... and the only LLU at the local exchange is CPW and there is no cable
in this area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:32:46 +0000, Huge wrote:
After I calmed down, she told me what to ask for so that they never called
me again. Whatever it was, it worked, because they never have (fortunately,
since it saves me the effort of chaging telcos).

I moved countries, which worked equally well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-05-10, Jules wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:32:46 +0000, Huge wrote:
After I calmed down, she told me what to ask for so that they never called
me again. Whatever it was, it worked, because they never have (fortunately,
since it saves me the effort of chaging telcos).

I moved countries, which worked equally well

That's a tad drastic.

Heh, well I didn't do it for that reason, obviously ;-) But it's really
nice to be free of idiots such as BT and NTL (or whatever they're calling
themselves this week). Mind you, our current phone/TV/'net provider have
their silly moments* too, so maybe it just goes with the territory (their
customer service is light years ahead of any such company I came across in
the UK, though)

* such as "please call us so we can install fibre up to your house" - when
it's 20 below zero outside and the ground's going to be like concrete
for the next four months :-)

Especially since the only country I'd likely move to
is the USA, where nuisance calls are an absolute nightmare, even with
the Federal "Do Not Call" list.

I've not found it's a problem, TBH. We get maybe a couple of daytime junk
calls a week, which almost never coincide with anyone being in anyway
(and they never leave a message, so other than them being on the
phone's call log there's no impact on us). Oddly enough they're nearly
always from Florida - I remember when the UK was being bombarded with
Florida junk, too (perhaps it still is?).

I think it must be one of those things which varies by area, because I'd
heard the US was supposedly the home of junk calls too, but experience
has been otherwise so far.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Gower wrote:

I recall Peter Strangman (RIP) had a setup on ISDN which took advantage of
the CLI signal coming through (a split second) before the call proper is put
through. If the number was blacklisted (perhaps even not-whitelisted) then
the computer took the line "off hook" and the caller would always get the
busy tone. I'm surprised it's taken such a long time for a commercial
product to come about, and moreso that it seems less sophisticated than what
Peter was doing 15 years ago.

Interesting approach. Thanks, some food for thought!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you have a phone which allows you to allocate different ring tones to callers, give everybody in your contacts list one ringtone (the same for all, if you wish). Then any other tone is a call from someone you don't know, so, at least, you don't have to answer it. If it is an unknown caller with an important communication then they can leave a message.