DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   posthole spade or post hole auger/borer? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/276961-re-posthole-spade-post-hole-auger-borer.html)

Martin Bonner April 29th 09 02:00 PM

posthole spade or post hole auger/borer?

On Apr 28, 7:45*pm, eden wrote:
I need to dig 5 holes for 1m high picket fence - which of these tools
works most effectively?

I have a post hole borer which I inherited from my Dad. Ask around,
you may find a friend/neighbour has one, and they are excellent tools
to borrow (only needed occasionally, difficult to damage much). Mine
is an open cylinder about six inches across and four inches high, with
teeth on the bottom of the cylinder. There is then a T-shaped handle
(about three feet long and high) attached the cylinder. Rotate the
handle, the teeth dig into the ground and pack the soil into the
cylinder. Lift it out, shake the soil out. Repeat.

It's very easy to use, but nobody seems to have that design any more.