DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/276659-re-glass-fibre-cleaner-soldering-iron-tip.html)

Smitty Two April 25th 09 04:18 PM

Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip

In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:

Matt H R wrote:
I guess my Antex XS25 iron might be a bit too hot. It's nominally
quite hot at 390 degrees C (735 F) and could be running even
hotter.

It should be 360c.

Not if you don't have all day long to fiddle around. I never solder with
anything but 800 F. (427 C.)

Bob Larter April 25th 09 05:24 PM

Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:

Matt H R wrote:
I guess my Antex XS25 iron might be a bit too hot. It's nominally
quite hot at 390 degrees C (735 F) and could be running even
hotter.

It should be 360c.

Not if you don't have all day long to fiddle around. I never solder with
anything but 800 F. (427 C.)

That's silver-soldering temperature. If you use that for electronics,
you'd want to be damn quick with it!

Andrew Gabriel April 25th 09 06:18 PM

Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip

In article ,
Bob Larter writes:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:

Matt H R wrote:
I guess my Antex XS25 iron might be a bit too hot. It's nominally
quite hot at 390 degrees C (735 F) and could be running even
hotter.
It should be 360c.

Not if you don't have all day long to fiddle around. I never solder with
anything but 800 F. (427 C.)

[me too]

That's silver-soldering temperature. If you use that for electronics,
you'd want to be damn quick with it!

That's the advantage -- you can be damn quick, and thus transfer
less total energy into the parts.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Smitty Two April 25th 09 06:23 PM

Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Larter writes:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:

Matt H R wrote:
I guess my Antex XS25 iron might be a bit too hot. It's nominally
quite hot at 390 degrees C (735 F) and could be running even
hotter.
It should be 360c.

Not if you don't have all day long to fiddle around. I never solder with
anything but 800 F. (427 C.)

[me too]

That's silver-soldering temperature. If you use that for electronics,
you'd want to be damn quick with it!

That's the advantage -- you can be damn quick, and thus transfer
less total energy into the parts.

'zactly.

Dave Plowman (News) April 25th 09 06:34 PM

Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Bob Larter wrote:

Matt H R wrote:
I guess my Antex XS25 iron might be a bit too hot. It's nominally
quite hot at 390 degrees C (735 F) and could be running even
hotter.

It should be 360c.

Not if you don't have all day long to fiddle around. I never solder with
anything but 800 F. (427 C.)

Fine if you're soldering continuously - but if it's the usual gap while
preparing a component etc aren't you forever cleaning it?

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

[email protected] April 27th 09 10:20 PM

Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip

On Apr 25, 1:34*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
*Bob Larter wrote:
Matt H R wrote:
I guess my Antex XS25 iron might be a bit too hot. *It's nominally
quite hot at 390 degrees C (735 F) and could be running even
hotter.

It should be 360c.

Not if you don't have all day long to fiddle around. I never solder with
anything but 800 F. (427 C.)

Fine if you're soldering continuously - but if it's the usual gap while
preparing a component etc aren't you forever cleaning it?

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

TUWAHAHAHA APPARENTLY NOT

HE IS STUCK ON OPEN ANUS LIKE ARCHIMEDES' THE BIG BOOZER
APPARENTLY THEY WENT TO THE SAME ALMA MATER

I AM PROTEUS