DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sourcing unusual size trailer wheels (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/274261-sourcing-unusual-size-trailer-wheels.html)

Peter Riocreux[_2_] March 24th 09 08:39 PM

Sourcing unusual size trailer wheels

After an unfortunate episode of trailer puncture last weekend, I want
to get a spare for my decrepit, refurbished trailer. The problem is
that the PCD of the 4 hole mounting is either 90mm or 3.5" (more
likely given its age).

I can't find anyone selling 4-hole with a PCD less than 100mm. There
appears to be a 3-hole size that is 88.5mm, but obviously that is no
good either. The tyre and tube are fairly easy to get hold of, but few
places will repair a punctured tube, so I could do with having a spare
about the place.

Can anyone point me at someone who might be able to help.

Cheers,

Pete

Steve Walker March 24th 09 09:05 PM

http://www.towsure.com/category/7238...d_Running_Gear

Bruce[_4_] March 24th 09 09:25 PM

"Steve Walker" wrote:
Peter Riocreux wrote:
After an unfortunate episode of trailer puncture last weekend,
I want to get a spare for my decrepit, refurbished trailer.
The problem is that the PCD of the 4 hole mounting is either
90mm or 3.5" (more likely given its age).

I can't find anyone selling 4-hole with a PCD less than 100mm.
There appears to be a 3-hole size that is 88.5mm, but
obviously that is no good either. The tyre and tube are fairly
easy to get hold of, but few places will repair a punctured
tube, so I could do with having a spare about the place.

Can anyone point me at someone who might be able to help.

http://www.towsure.com/category/7238...d_Running_Gear

All the wheels offered by Towsure are either 100mm or 112mm PCD, which
neatly proves the OP's point.

I would suggest buying a modern wheel and having a machine shop drill
additional holes in it at 3.5" PCD.

Adrian March 24th 09 09:39 PM

Sourcing unusual size trailer wheels

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

All the wheels offered by Towsure are either 100mm or 112mm PCD, which
neatly proves the OP's point.

I would suggest buying a modern wheel and having a machine shop drill
additional holes in it at 3.5" PCD.

A quick google on "4x90 PCD" comes up with Suzuki quad bikes as using
that fitment. It's probably a total red herring...

Bruce[_4_] March 24th 09 10:32 PM

Adrian wrote:
Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

All the wheels offered by Towsure are either 100mm or 112mm PCD, which
neatly proves the OP's point.

I would suggest buying a modern wheel and having a machine shop drill
additional holes in it at 3.5" PCD.

A quick google on "4x90 PCD" comes up with Suzuki quad bikes as using
that fitment. It's probably a total red herring...

If so, it must be worth taking an accurate measurement of the PCD.

Not a difficult task. Much easier than dowsing. ;-)

Grimly Curmudgeon March 25th 09 01:15 AM

Sourcing unusual size trailer wheels

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying
something like:

I would suggest buying a modern wheel and having a machine shop drill
additional holes in it at 3.5" PCD.

Flat face wheels are a bit of a rarity, these days.

R[_7_] March 25th 09 06:24 AM

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Steve Walker" wrote:
Peter Riocreux wrote:
After an unfortunate episode of trailer puncture last weekend,
I want to get a spare for my decrepit, refurbished trailer.
The problem is that the PCD of the 4 hole mounting is either
90mm or 3.5" (more likely given its age).

I can't find anyone selling 4-hole with a PCD less than 100mm.
There appears to be a 3-hole size that is 88.5mm, but
obviously that is no good either. The tyre and tube are fairly
easy to get hold of, but few places will repair a punctured
tube, so I could do with having a spare about the place.

Can anyone point me at someone who might be able to help.

http://www.towsure.com/category/7238...d_Running_Gear

All the wheels offered by Towsure are either 100mm or 112mm PCD, which
neatly proves the OP's point.

I would suggest buying a modern wheel and having a machine shop drill
additional holes in it at 3.5" PCD.

Probably easier to have the hubs redrilled.

Andy Champ[_2_] April 10th 09 07:31 PM

Peter Riocreux wrote:
I can't find anyone selling 4-hole with a PCD less than 100mm. There
appears to be a 3-hole size that is 88.5mm, but obviously that is no
good either. The tyre and tube are fairly easy to get hold of, but few
places will repair a punctured tube, so I could do with having a spare
about the place.

Tubes can be repaired with a bicycle puncture kit.

Andy