DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting on new plaster (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2738-painting-new-plaster.html)

Arthur October 14th 03 11:30 PM

Painting on new plaster

Hi.
I have some newly plastered wall and some 'salts'
have appeared on it. Is it ok to just paint over it or
what do I need to do first?

Thanks.

Arthur.

Andrew Gabriel October 15th 03 01:12 AM

Painting on new plaster

In article ,
"Arthur" writes:
Hi.
I have some newly plastered wall and some 'salts'
have appeared on it. Is it ok to just paint over it or
what do I need to do first?

The salts will brush off, but they are normally an indication
of a damp wall, so they'll likely form again. Why was the wall
newly plastered? You probably have to stop the wall being damp,
or prevent the damp reaching the plaster.

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Key October 15th 03 01:54 PM

Painting on new plaster

Arthur wrote:
Hi.
I have some newly plastered wall and some 'salts'
have appeared on it. Is it ok to just paint over it or
what do I need to do first?

Thanks.

Arthur.

the salts will continue to appear for a number of weeks. You could use a
dehumidifier until the plaster is completely dry. If you do paint the wall,
you must use a porous paint, which can be obtained from trade outlets and
sometimes even Homebase and the like. Do not use anything oil based (like
anti-condensation or mould paints) because it will only exacerbate the
problem.