Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Replacement

Most esteemed DIY experts....

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some
amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back down
to £2700!!

I will not be using their services, but they have put the fear of god into
the Mrs over the need to 'register' the new boiler with the LABC at the
council. Indeed, the BG sales literature makes specific reference to this,
likening it to obtaining planning permission. Non BG installations may be
subject to up to additional charges of £4-500 (they say). The brochure goes
on to say that if Part L is not complied with, there may be fines!!

I seem to recollect that Part L now demands a condensing boiler with a
minimum SEDBUK, but most boilers sold now will comply anyway.

Can anyone point me to a good source on this 'registration with LABC'
malarkey, I have googled but cannot seem to find a good, reputable source of
info.

TIA

SalesGuy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
... ... is offline

On 5 Mar, 20:50, "salesguy" wrote:
Most esteemed DIY experts....

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some
amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back down
to £2700!!

That sounds like a reasonable price from BG
what boiler did the specify?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

salesguy coughed up some electrons that declared:

Most esteemed DIY experts....

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some
amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back
down to £2700!!

Yeah - I was quoted 2500 to supply and fit a boiler, with 10m of surface run
gas pipe, 2x3m surface water pipe and connect to electrics that I had
already supplied adjacent to the boiler, which was on the ground floor!
That was about 1500 for a day to a day-and-a-half of matey+lad.

So I'll be doing it myself...

I will not be using their services, but they have put the fear of god into
the Mrs over the need to 'register' the new boiler

AFAIK, if a CORGI ("Gassafe" now or whatever) does it, the installation gets
registered with them. Nothing to do with BG - it would be the same for any
CORGI/whatever install.

If you did it yourself, technically the gas requires no notification, but
you would need to notify the LABC with respect to Part L (energy), maybe
Part F (ventilation) unless it's a room sealed boiler, which it probably is
anyway, and maybe Part P (electrics) - and that's debateable if it's a
straight swap.

with the LABC at the
council. Indeed, the BG sales literature makes specific reference to
this,
likening it to obtaining planning permission. Non BG installations may be
subject to up to additional charges of £4-500 (they say).

Utter ********. Firstly, I would imaging any CORGI installer is able to self
certify these bits. Also, I have a BNA (Building Notice) on my house which
cost 321 quid and covers drains, boiler, wood stove, lots of random Part L
crap, full rewire and a few other things. The cost for a boiler BNA would
be typically the minimum charge - more like a 100-odd + VAT.

The brochure
goes on to say that if Part L is not complied with, there may be fines!!

No one gives a damn and there's a timeout anyway or 6 months and 2 years
IIRC (different aspects time out differently). Technically they could bust
you for a fine, but Part P prosecutions are rare, and targetted at dodgey
traders. I've never heard of someone being busted for failure to notify
Part L work.

I seem to recollect that Part L now demands a condensing boiler with a
minimum SEDBUK, but most boilers sold now will comply anyway.

You can still buy a non condesning if you really want to.

Can anyone point me to a good source on this 'registration with LABC'
malarkey, I have googled but cannot seem to find a good, reputable source
of info.

www.YOURDISTRICTCOUNCIL.gov.uk (change capitalised bit as appropriate - you
want your borough/district council - not parish and not county council)
then look for Building Control. Or nip down the Town Hall and see them.
Building Control are generally helpful, though some inspectors are more
by-the-book than others.

Building Regs "Approved Documents" are easily found for free by googling -
they're generally not too hard to read.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

salesguy wrote:

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some
amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back down
to £2700!!

So probably £1800 from an independent fitter...

I will not be using their services, but they have put the fear of god into
the Mrs over the need to 'register' the new boiler with the LABC at the
council. Indeed, the BG sales literature makes specific reference to this,

Indeed - one should...

likening it to obtaining planning permission. Non BG installations may be

No nothing like PP, your fitter needs to submit a self certification
notice to them that says it complies with the requirements of part L
(should cost him about £3.50 or something like that IIRC). I am sure one
of our regular fitters could elaborate on the exact process.

subject to up to additional charges of £4-500 (they say). The brochure goes

Ah, FUD marketing. If you were to fit your own boiler for example, and
were not a CORGI (or equal for other fuels) member, then you would not
be able to self certify. Hence you would need to apply for a building
notice to have the LA inspect and sign off the installation as complying
with building regs. This would cost you a building notice fee. Could be
north of £100, but very unlikely to be anything like £400 (unless the
commercial value of the work you were doing was in excess of £10K!)

on to say that if Part L is not complied with, there may be fines!!

For certain values of "may" - and only then if the work did not comply
with building regs. (i.e. in reality - fat chance)

I seem to recollect that Part L now demands a condensing boiler with a
minimum SEDBUK, but most boilers sold now will comply anyway.

Yup. You will need to make sure the controls are up to modern standards
as well. So Room stat (aka boiler interlock) and TRVs on all rads except
the one in the room with the stat.

Can anyone point me to a good source on this 'registration with LABC'
malarkey, I have googled but cannot seem to find a good, reputable source of
info.

I expect that for most LAs it is one of those things that have simply
never happened. Some CORGIs will submit the paperwork, others won't, but
I would be very surprised if any self installers (or non registered
fitters trading illegally) have done a building notice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
salesguy wrote:

[...]

where about do you live? We come in with quotes usually at half BG price all
in. The registration with BC is done via corgi, they are trying to frighten
you with the claims.

Get some quotes from local guys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 22:03:37 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

salesguy wrote:

No nothing like PP, your fitter needs to submit a self certification
notice to them that says it complies with the requirements of part L
(should cost him about £3.50 or something like that IIRC). I am sure one
of our regular fitters could elaborate on the exact process.

Online with direct debit it takes about 5 minutes and cost £2.50 (less a
few pennies for lower VAT).

snip

I expect that for most LAs it is one of those things that have simply
never happened. Some CORGIs will submit the paperwork, others won't, but
I would be very surprised if any self installers (or non registered
fitters trading illegally) have done a building notice.

It is worth me doing them, as the notices are one of the things which the
Corgi/Crapita take as part of their 'risk assessment'. I.e. The guys who
put in notices are deemed to be likely to have less faults with their
work. Ergo I've nearly forgotten what the inspector looks like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"..." wrote in message
On 5 Mar, 20:50, "salesguy" wrote:
Most esteemed DIY experts....

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some
amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back
down
to £2700!!

That sounds like a reasonable price from BG
what boiler did the specify?

+330 High Efficiency BG branded!

Not even a brand name!

SalesGuy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"salesguy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the info.

SalesGuy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

salesguy wrote:

[...]

Yup, sorry I was not being that clear there... I as thinking more about
the non CORGI[1] submitting a standard building notice before doing the
work (and paying the ~£100 fee), rather than the CORGI ones...

[1] Is the ability to do part L notices cheaply, available to all CORGIs
or is it limited in some way?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 23:54:25 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

[1] Is the ability to do part L notices cheaply, available to all CORGIs
or is it limited in some way?

I suppose if you haven't done your C&G mumble (the energy efficiency one
that came out when Part L changed to mandate condensing boilers) then you
probably couldn't self-certify. Dunno because I did mine and I can.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 23:54:25 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

[1] Is the ability to do part L notices cheaply, available to all CORGIs
or is it limited in some way?

I suppose if you haven't done your C&G mumble (the energy efficiency one
that came out when Part L changed to mandate condensing boilers) then you
probably couldn't self-certify. Dunno because I did mine and I can.

Is the subject really that deep (in the context of boilers etc) to
require a C&G to itself?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 23:54:25 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

[1] Is the ability to do part L notices cheaply, available to all CORGIs
or is it limited in some way?

I suppose if you haven't done your C&G mumble (the energy efficiency one
that came out when Part L changed to mandate condensing boilers) then you
probably couldn't self-certify. Dunno because I did mine and I can.

Not so.

C&G or any type of formal qualification is not a requirment to for self
certification of boilers or other notifiable gas work.

All that is required is that the bussiness or sole trader is CORGI
registered
gas installer and that the fitter (or sole trader) is qualified to carry
out the work.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:20:41 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

YAPH wrote:
On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 23:54:25 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

[1] Is the ability to do part L notices cheaply, available to all
CORGIs or is it limited in some way?

I suppose if you haven't done your C&G mumble (the energy efficiency
one that came out when Part L changed to mandate condensing boilers)
then you probably couldn't self-certify. Dunno because I did mine and I
can.

Is the subject really that deep (in the context of boilers etc) to
require a C&G to itself?

It's a pretty small 1 day C&G.
It does cover quite a bit of stuff most of which I had serous objections
to. Partly because some of it does not stand up to numerate inspection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 23:00:10 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

It does cover quite a bit of stuff most of which I had serous objections
to. Partly because some of it does not stand up to numerate inspection.

What were your objections Ed?

I had reservations about the whole-house sizing method but they claimed it
actually produces accurate-enough results and TBH a usable tool that
encourages yer average installer to actually calculate a boiler size
rather than suck their teeth and throw in a 30kW just to be one the safe
side (usually into a 10-12kW terraced!) has an argument going for it :-).

OTOH IIRC they were still plugging the party line that we should be
telling punters that switching to a condensing boiler would produce a
positive retrun on investment (which it might have a chance of doing at
current interest rates, but not when we all had to do our 6084).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

A stitch in time saves nine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 22:01:10 +0000, Heliotrope Smith wrote:

Not so.

C&G or any type of formal qualification is not a requirment to for self
certification of boilers or other notifiable gas work.

All that is required is that the bussiness or sole trader is CORGI
registered
gas installer and that the fitter (or sole trader) is qualified to carry
out the work.

I can't remember the legal/bureaucratic details at the time but my
understanding was that to self-certify to the newer version of Part L I
had to have C&G 6084.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Ohnosecond
Instant in time when you realise that you've just made a BIG mistake.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 13:33:35 +0000, YAPH wrote:

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 23:00:10 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

It does cover quite a bit of stuff most of which I had serous
objections to. Partly because some of it does not stand up to numerate
inspection.

What were your objections Ed?

I had reservations about the whole-house sizing method but they claimed
it actually produces accurate-enough results and TBH a usable tool that
encourages yer average installer to actually calculate a boiler size
rather than suck their teeth and throw in a 30kW just to be one the safe
side (usually into a 10-12kW terraced!) has an argument going for it
:-).

Whilst that trivial case is a clear benefit of following the 'book'. It
fails to take account of subtleties, such as:

1) Medium or longer term plans for house alterations.
2) Specific problem with heating the specific house in question.
3) There is an inevitable error in the estimation but the consequence of
a the error are not symetrical problems. Ergo A little extra makes for
peace of mind.
In truth it fails to take all the information (including the house
calculator) on board and come to a reasoned balanced compromise.

OTOH IIRC they were still plugging the party line that we should be
telling punters that switching to a condensing boiler would produce a
positive retrun on investment (which it might have a chance of doing at
current interest rates, but not when we all had to do our 6084).

It all depends on a number of factors. In general condensing boilers
would pay for their extra cost and make inroads into their overall cost.

Other problems:
1) Using a grossly undersized HW cylinder and a fast acting thermal
sensor. The figures given did not add up. I ran the numbers on the white
at lunch time to prove it. The tutor accepted the numbers but said he
had to put out new ideas about HW.

2) Claiming that wood burning is zero carbon. It is only if the wood
supply is renewable.

3) Claiming that all this will stop/reverse global warming. If we all
switched all of our hiouse heating off we would save the carbon from a
couple of coal fired power stations in some other countries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 21:54:52 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

Other problems:
1) Using a grossly undersized HW cylinder and a fast acting thermal
sensor. The figures given did not add up. I ran the numbers on the white
at lunch time to prove it. The tutor accepted the numbers but said he
had to put out new ideas about HW.

2) Claiming that wood burning is zero carbon. It is only if the wood
supply is renewable.

3) Claiming that all this will stop/reverse global warming. If we all
switched all of our hiouse heating off we would save the carbon from a
couple of coal fired power stations in some other countries.

Interesting. I don't recall any such tosh at mine (West London Training in
Farnborough) though it was a few years ago and I'm a bit hazy on it all
now.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Replacement CH boiler CraigB UK diy 6 December 12th 06 12:35 AM
Boiler Replacement alexbartman UK diy 55 April 12th 05 02:39 PM
Condensing Boiler replacement for my conventional boiler Andy Kaye UK diy 45 March 1st 05 10:54 AM
Boiler Replacement Peter G UK diy 2 January 9th 04 03:29 PM