Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My brain hurts

Swmbo went to B&Q this morning to buy some new plastic drawer inserts for
the kitchen.

She called & asked me what size the drawers were. 400 x 400 was the answer
provided by my trusty tape rule.

She asked a B&Q droid who handed her two inserts clearly marked "400mm wide
drawer inserts".

They didn't fit, being 330mm wide x 430mm deep. They didn't actually
measure 400mm in any direction I could find.

I took them back & got two "500mm wide drawer inserts". They were 430mm
wide.

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that things
described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm & 500mm wide?

Confused of Medway

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 18:14:03 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Swmbo went to B&Q this morning to buy some new plastic drawer inserts for
the kitchen.

She called & asked me what size the drawers were. 400 x 400 was the answer
provided by my trusty tape rule.

She asked a B&Q droid who handed her two inserts clearly marked "400mm wide
drawer inserts".

They didn't fit, being 330mm wide x 430mm deep. They didn't actually
measure 400mm in any direction I could find.

I took them back & got two "500mm wide drawer inserts". They were 430mm
wide.

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that things
described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm & 500mm wide?

Confused of Medway

Are the 330mm ones designed to fit one of their 400mm wide units, hence the
400?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Dunno, but the package is clearly marked "400mm wide". Silly me, I assumed
it meant they were 400mm wide :-)

You are prolly right though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that
things described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm & 500mm
wide?

No, they're built to fit 400 or 500mm wide drawer fronts...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that
things described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm & 500mm
wide?

No, they're built to fit 400 or 500mm wide drawer fronts...

Presumably they don't expect customers to look for things of a particular
size. Perhaps they should adopt terms like Weenie, Normal, big & Jumbo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Adrian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that
things described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm & 500mm
wide?

No, they're built to fit 400 or 500mm wide drawer fronts...

Plus - they only only fit 400 or 500 units which have a specific drawer
system. Different systems, even from one manufacturer of such systems,
need different inserts.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Presumably they don't expect customers to look for things of a particular
size. Perhaps they should adopt terms like Weenie, Normal, big & Jumbo

Time for some coffee?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLs9RI8mSA

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Swmbo went to B&Q this morning to buy some new plastic drawer inserts for
the kitchen.

She called & asked me what size the drawers were. 400 x 400 was the
answer provided by my trusty tape rule.

She asked a B&Q droid who handed her two inserts clearly marked "400mm
wide drawer inserts".

They didn't fit, being 330mm wide x 430mm deep. They didn't actually
measure 400mm in any direction I could find.

I took them back & got two "500mm wide drawer inserts". They were 430mm
wide.

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that things
described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm & 500mm wide?

Confused of Medway

--

It is the size of the drwer it is meant for that is described. It states it
clearly on the packaging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..
Swmbo went to B&Q this morning to buy some new plastic drawer
inserts for the kitchen.

She called & asked me what size the drawers were. 400 x 400 was the
answer provided by my trusty tape rule.

She asked a B&Q droid who handed her two inserts clearly marked
"400mm wide drawer inserts".

They didn't fit, being 330mm wide x 430mm deep. They didn't actually
measure 400mm in any direction I could find.

I took them back & got two "500mm wide drawer inserts". They were
430mm wide.

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that
things described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm &
500mm wide? Confused of Medway

--

It is the size of the drawer it is meant for that is described. It
states it clearly on the packaging.

Thats the problem. It doesn't say 'suitable for drawers that are 400mm
wide' it specifically says '400mm wide'.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Quick trim & they fitted, but is it asking too much to assume that things
described as 400mm & 500mm wide should actually be 400mm & 500mm wide?

Like 3/4" BSP threads?

Pete