DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "inner room" and fire escapes (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/272169-inner-room-fire-escapes.html)

RobertL February 27th 09 03:45 PM

"inner room" and fire escapes

I've been reading the building regulations on fire saftey but want to
check I have understood correctly.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl..._ADB1_2006.pdf

I want to be sure what an "inner room" is. As I understand it, a
ground floor room that has a door onto the hall which leads directly
to the front door is not an inner room so it does not need to have a
secondary means of escape. An inner room is one that is accessed via
anothe "room". I'm assuming the hall is not a room. Is this correct?

This is relevant to me because I am contemplating a change to the
house that means that one ground floor room will have no windows but
just a door to a the courtyard (3m x 3m) which has no further exits.
the room is on the ground floor an has a door into the hall. It's a
conventional 2 story victorian terraced house.

thanks for any help

Robert

RubberBiker February 27th 09 04:47 PM

"inner room" and fire escapes

AIUI you're correct in your understanding of an inner room - and
exiting onto a hallway is fine - provided it *is* a hallway and
doesn't have any open-plan rooms opening onto it.

Even the door into the courtyard might count as MOE provided the
courtyard is accessible.

If this windowless room won't be used as a habitable room (and you've
looked at the BR requirements for ventilation) and isn't in "frequent
use", I think even the inner-room rule may be relaxed.