DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Skirting boards (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/270281-skirting-boards.html)

[email protected] February 3rd 09 12:05 PM

Skirting boards

I'm fitting new softwood skirting boards. I plan to use Colron wood
dye and a coat(s) of Ronseal Diamond varnish over that.
Do I need to use knotting on the bare boards first?

Stuart Noble February 3rd 09 01:16 PM

Skirting boards

wrote:
I'm fitting new softwood skirting boards. I plan to use Colron wood
dye and a coat(s) of Ronseal Diamond varnish over that.
Do I need to use knotting on the bare boards first?

With a transparent finish I wouldn't bother. It's when knots bleed
through paint they look unsightly.

Bob Minchin[_2_] February 3rd 09 01:17 PM

Skirting boards

wrote:
I'm fitting new softwood skirting boards. I plan to use Colron wood
dye and a coat(s) of Ronseal Diamond varnish over that.
Do I need to use knotting on the bare boards first?

Unless you are using a very dark dye, the knotting will show through.
Any knot resin will eventually bleed through the varnish and dry
yellow/amber. Wait till it is dry and powery and scrape off and
re-varnish. This might not happen for some years.
Ideally use knot free runs in the most visible places and cut out as
many knots as possible in the short runs.

Bob