DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Doorbell help (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/269857-doorbell-help.html)

eastender[_3_] January 28th 09 04:00 PM

Doorbell help

I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?
thx

E.

Frank Erskine January 28th 09 08:27 PM

Doorbell help

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:00:55 +0100, eastender
wrote:

I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?
thx

A baby alarm.

--
Frank Erskine

Bruce[_4_] January 28th 09 08:35 PM

Doorbell help

eastender wrote:

I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?

You could replace the bell with a wireless system and re-site the ringer
so you can hear it throughout the ground floor.

Some wireless systems have a portable ringer that you can carry around
the house with you.

Malcolm January 28th 09 11:04 PM

Doorbell help

eastender wrote:
I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?
thx

E.

Use a doorbell extender. It is a transmitter wired into the wired
circuit which transmits to a radio doorbell which can either be battery
or mains powered.

Something like this

http://www.responseelectronics.com/s...ll-pr-107.html

I have a Friedland kit which is reliable and works well over 15m through
two block walls

Malcolm

eastender[_3_] January 29th 09 10:57 AM

Doorbell help

In article , Malcolm
wrote:

eastender wrote:
I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?
thx

E.

Use a doorbell extender. It is a transmitter wired into the wired
circuit which transmits to a radio doorbell which can either be battery
or mains powered.

Something like this

http://www.responseelectronics.com/s...-Converter-for
-Friedland-Door-Bell-pr-107.html

I have a Friedland kit which is reliable and works well over 15m through
two block walls

Malcolm

Thanks - that looks like the job. Is it easy to install?

E.

mogga January 29th 09 02:43 PM

Doorbell help

wrote:

I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?
thx

E.

You need an intercom so you can shout at people not to leave - if it's
that far you can't hear it they'll just go before you get there.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

eastender[_3_] January 29th 09 03:40 PM

Doorbell help

wrote:

I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?
thx

E.

You need an intercom so you can shout at people not to leave - if it's
that far you can't hear it they'll just go before you get there.

Good idea - is there a wireless one I can just bolt by the door?

E.

Malcolm January 29th 09 05:08 PM

Doorbell help

eastender wrote:
In article , Malcolm
wrote:

eastender wrote:
I've started working at home at the back of the house and can't hear the
doorbell. The bell is mains powered and the ringer sits in the fuse box
cupboard above the front door. What is the easiest way to rig something
up so I can hear it in my home office?
thx

E.

Use a doorbell extender. It is a transmitter wired into the wired
circuit which transmits to a radio doorbell which can either be battery
or mains powered.

Something like this

http://www.responseelectronics.com/s...-Converter-for
-Friedland-Door-Bell-pr-107.html

I have a Friedland kit which is reliable and works well over 15m through
two block walls

Malcolm

Thanks - that looks like the job. Is it easy to install?

E.

Very - instructions are clear

Malcolm

eastender[_3_] January 29th 09 06:55 PM

Doorbell help

In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

Very - instructions are clear

I can get at the wires to the bell - is this where I need to wire in a
sender?

E.

Malcolm January 29th 09 10:48 PM

Doorbell help

eastender wrote:
In article ,
Malcolm wrote:

Very - instructions are clear

I can get at the wires to the bell - is this where I need to wire in a
sender?

E.

Yes - can't remeber exactly. There are three terminals in the extender
and two connect to the bell. As I said the instructions are clear.
This is the ref to the Friedland site - cant quickly find any
instructions but this pdf contains the info on the extender

http://www.friedland.co.uk/PDF/produ...mes_pushes.pdf

Malcolm