DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   30mm v.deep socket needed (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/269003-30mm-v-deep-socket-needed.html)

[email protected] January 15th 09 10:27 PM

30mm v.deep socket needed

Hi Guys,
I'm after a very deep 30mm socket (the deepest one I've seen so far is
about 10cm) anybody seen a deeper one? - needs to be durable, the
bolts on this piece of kit are tightened up to 220Nm

Cheers

Rob.

[email protected] January 16th 09 07:29 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

On 15 Jan, 23:53, "John" wrote:
wrote in message

... Hi Guys,
I'm after a very deep 30mm socket (the deepest one I've seen so far is
about 10cm) anybody seen a deeper one? - needs to be durable, the
bolts on this piece of kit are tightened up to 220Nm

Cheers

Rob.

Snap-on?

I'd already had a look and saw this:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....uk&dir=catalog
and size wise it's spot on, but because its an imperial size and not
metric and I was brought up using metric measurements ;-) (and I don't
want to waste £45!) I was unsure if it would fit - anybody care to
comment?

Bob Mannix January 16th 09 08:22 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

wrote in message

-http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=3435&group_ID=391&s tore=uk&dir=catalog
-and size wise it's spot on, but because its an imperial size and not
-metric and I was brought up using metric measurements ;-) (and I don't
-want to waste £45!) I was unsure if it would fit - anybody care to
-comment?

You didn't say you wanted a double square socket, I assumed by "30mm socket"
you meant hex. The example is a double square. Perhaps another possibility
for wasting money! In any case 1"1/8 would be about 28mm so would be too
small.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

jennyhicks[_2_] January 16th 09 09:58 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

;1497378 Wrote:
Hi Guys,
I'm after a very deep 30mm socket (the deepest one I've seen so far is
about 10cm) anybody seen a deeper one? - needs to be durable, the
bolts on this piece of kit are tightened up to 220Nm

Cheers

Rob.

Have you tried Ebay?

--
jennyhicks

Dave Plowman (News) January 16th 09 10:21 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

In article
,
wrote:
I'd already had a look and saw this:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....uk&dir=catalog
and size wise it's spot on, but because its an imperial size and not
metric and I was brought up using metric measurements ;-) (and I don't
want to waste £45!) I was unsure if it would fit - anybody care to
comment?

Well converting 1.125" gives 28.6mm so probably not.

I'd try a big motor factor that deals with commercial vehicles - you might
be lucky there. Although I'm not sure you'll find one on the net. My first
port of call would have been Cannons MSA in Clapham - but they've moved to
Mitcham and down sized. So I don't know what their tool department is like
now. Other lead might be from a local engineer's supplier.

Might it be possible to use a box spanner and reinforce it by welding?

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

[email protected] January 16th 09 11:20 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

Bloody hell, you get a lot of spam on here don't you!

To be honest I wasn't sure what a double square socket was anyway - I
assume it doesn't fit an ordinary hex nut by the replies!

Tried ebay (first port of call)!

Think I may go along the lines of getting a tool made (not doing it
myself!) - cut a deep socket in half and have it extended with a
length of tube - that way I can get a custom size as it's something
that I'm going to require quite a lot.

Thanks for the replies.

Bob Mannix January 16th 09 11:26 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

wrote in message
Bloody hell, you get a lot of spam on here don't you!

To be honest I wasn't sure what a double square socket was anyway - I
assume it doesn't fit an ordinary hex nut by the replies!

A double square socket has 8 vertices or points and will fit a square
section object every 45deg of turn (with an unused vertex or point at each
of the four flats). A hex socket has 12 vertices or points and will fit a
hex section object every 30deg of turn (with an unused vertex or point at
each of the six flats).

Preston[_2_] January 16th 09 11:38 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

wrote:

Hi Guys,
I'm after a very deep 30mm socket (the deepest one I've seen so far is
about 10cm) anybody seen a deeper one? - needs to be durable, the
bolts on this piece of kit are tightened up to 220Nm

Cheers

Rob.

This any good?
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt3161.html
Should be tough enough if it's impact grade. If they won't ship to the
UK, you might be able to get one from an American car dealer (or
possibly even a Vauxhall dealer - for a lot more money).

--
Preston.

Bruce[_4_] January 16th 09 11:40 AM

30mm v.deep socket needed

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Might it be possible to use a box spanner and reinforce it by welding?

I thought that, but concluded that the 200Nm torque might be a problem.

Dave Plowman (News) January 16th 09 01:14 PM

30mm v.deep socket needed

In article ,
Preston wrote:
This any good? http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt3161.html
Should be tough enough if it's impact grade. If they won't ship to the
UK, you might be able to get one from an American car dealer (or
possibly even a Vauxhall dealer - for a lot more money).

That *looks* about the same as any deep socket which are stock items at
good tool shops. Even Halfords have them.

The OP doesn't actually say what depth he needs.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman (News) January 16th 09 01:16 PM

30mm v.deep socket needed

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
Might it be possible to use a box spanner and reinforce it by welding?

I thought that, but concluded that the 200Nm torque might be a problem.

Depends on how you reinforce it, I'd say. Especially if clearance round
the outside isn't a problem.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman (News) January 16th 09 01:17 PM

30mm v.deep socket needed

In article
,
wrote:
Bloody hell, you get a lot of spam on here don't you!

Not with my ISP.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Bruce[_4_] January 16th 09 09:25 PM

30mm v.deep socket needed

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
Might it be possible to use a box spanner and reinforce it by welding?

I thought that, but concluded that the 200Nm torque might be a problem.

Depends on how you reinforce it, I'd say. Especially if clearance round
the outside isn't a problem.

A valid point. However, no amount of external reinforcement is going to
change the far from optimal shape of the "socket" interior, although it
should help to reduce deflection under load.

PCPaul January 16th 09 11:44 PM

30mm v.deep socket needed

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:14:04 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Preston wrote:
This any good? http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt3161.html Should be
tough enough if it's impact grade. If they won't ship to the UK, you
might be able to get one from an American car dealer (or possibly even
a Vauxhall dealer - for a lot more money).

That *looks* about the same as any deep socket which are stock items at
good tool shops. Even Halfords have them.

The OP doesn't actually say what depth he needs.

The first post said 'the deepest I've found is only 10cm' so I'm guessing
a lot more than that...

I just want to know what it's for!