DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Secondary double glazing film kits - where to buy? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/268619-secondary-double-glazing-film-kits-where-buy.html)

Nicholas Finlay January 10th 09 02:40 PM

Secondary double glazing film kits - where to buy?

Years ago I installed this in a kit form - basically double sided tape
and shrink-wrap which is then shrunk with a hairdryer. Anyone know
shops that sell the kits (East London). Or..failing that, anyone
carried this out using Ebay-type shrink wrap (there are lots of
different types and I'm not sure which is best).

[email protected] January 10th 09 03:45 PM

Secondary double glazing film kits - where to buy?

Wilkinson also sell it. I thought would make so-so differnece but it
really reduces noise alot

Andrew Gabriel January 10th 09 03:59 PM

Secondary double glazing film kits - where to buy?

In article ,
Nicholas Finlay writes:
Years ago I installed this in a kit form - basically double sided tape
and shrink-wrap which is then shrunk with a hairdryer. Anyone know
shops that sell the kits (East London). Or..failing that, anyone
carried this out using Ebay-type shrink wrap (there are lots of
different types and I'm not sure which is best).

I fitted a "Sellotape" brand on a few windows in 1986. One of
these (a pane above the front door) is still the original, and
it's still on there, in perfect condition. That's 25+ years.
That's longer than many double glazing systems last!
In the other cases, the windows have long-since been replaced
anyway.

BTW, it came from Woolworths!

--
Andrew Gabriel

DAVE January 10th 09 10:09 PM

Secondary double glazing film kits - where to buy?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Nicholas Finlay writes:
Years ago I installed this in a kit form - basically double sided tape
and shrink-wrap which is then shrunk with a hairdryer. Anyone know
shops that sell the kits (East London). Or..failing that, anyone
carried this out using Ebay-type shrink wrap (there are lots of
different types and I'm not sure which is best).

I fitted a "Sellotape" brand on a few windows in 1986. One of
these (a pane above the front door) is still the original, and
it's still on there, in perfect condition. That's 25+ years.
That's longer than many double glazing systems last!
In the other cases, the windows have long-since been replaced
anyway.

BTW, it came from Woolworths!

Not much chance of getting another one from there any more !!!
R.I.P. Woolworths.

Wavey Dave