Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted - Hob Ignition Spark Generator - suggestions for source please

Any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement HT Spark generator -
mine has become tempramental;

The hob is c. 1988. Parkinson Cowan / Thorn Onyx. The unit is fed from a
single C Cell. Makers name - Turnright GL830.

Ideally I want a second hand one as I must get a new hob soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=di rectlink

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes
Any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement HT Spark generator -
mine has become tempramental;

The hob is c. 1988. Parkinson Cowan / Thorn Onyx. The unit is fed from a
single C Cell. Makers name - Turnright GL830.

Ideally I want a second hand one as I must get a new hob soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Q?authkey=EZJ3
7LPjrNc&feat=directlink

a bit of Isopon - good as new

Don't you have a place around that repairs cookers and washing machines?

That would be my first point of call if I were you

I could have a look at it for you, but I'll be too busy when we open
again on monday

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try espares: http://www.espares.co.uk/

They supplied me with my replacement spark generator.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John
writes
Any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement HT Spark generator -
mine has become tempramental;

The hob is c. 1988. Parkinson Cowan / Thorn Onyx. The unit is fed from a
single C Cell. Makers name - Turnright GL830.

Ideally I want a second hand one as I must get a new hob soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Q?authkey=EZJ3
7LPjrNc&feat=directlink

a bit of Isopon - good as new

Don't you have a place around that repairs cookers and washing machines?

That would be my first point of call if I were you

I could have a look at it for you, but I'll be too busy when we open again
on monday

--
geoff

It is failing electrically - I have tried re-soldering some of the
connections - but it is still tempremental (as well as distorted)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John
writes
Any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement HT Spark generator -
mine has become tempramental;

The hob is c. 1988. Parkinson Cowan / Thorn Onyx. The unit is fed from a
single C Cell. Makers name - Turnright GL830.

Ideally I want a second hand one as I must get a new hob soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Q?authkey=EZJ3
7LPjrNc&feat=directlink

a bit of Isopon - good as new

Don't you have a place around that repairs cookers and washing machines?

That would be my first point of call if I were you

I could have a look at it for you, but I'll be too busy when we open again
on monday

It is failing electrically - I have tried re-soldering some of the
connections - but it is still tempremental (as well as distorted)

so it does actually work sometimes then

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John
writes
[...]

Yes - it makes a faint whine and you can see a glow inside a cylindrical
component. It is failing to click and make a spark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , John
writes
[...]

looks like this but clear glass ?

http://uk.farnell.com/epcos/b88069x1...ube-90vdc-2-el
ect/dp/1299958

its the spark gap - basically you feed a capacitor until the voltage
reaches the discharge voltage of the spark gap which then discharges at
a high dv/dt which induces that spark at the secondary

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement HT Spark generator -
mine has become tempramental;

The hob is c. 1988. Parkinson Cowan / Thorn Onyx. The unit is fed from a
single C Cell. Makers name - Turnright GL830.

Ideally I want a second hand one as I must get a new hob soon.

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~dct25/...ks-matches.jpg
any good ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

so it does actually work sometimes then

--
geoff

Yes - it makes a faint whine and you can see a glow inside a cylindrical
component. It is failing to click and make a spark.

looks like this but clear glass ?

http://uk.farnell.com/epcos/b88069x1...ube-90vdc-2-el
ect/dp/1299958

its the spark gap - basically you feed a capacitor until the voltage
reaches the discharge voltage of the spark gap which then discharges at a
high dv/dt which induces that spark at the secondary

--
geoff

That is very similar. It glows inside when I press the switch. Earlier a
lose connection was causing nothing to happen - until I gained access -
moved the input spade and then it worked until my wife next used it. Will
try a new battery today - although the last one lasted for about 10 years
and this has only been in for a few months.