DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   LED Xmas lights (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/267266-led-xmas-lights.html)

Dave Plowman (News) December 22nd 08 12:36 AM

LED Xmas lights

Just occurred looking at these that they have a pretty constant light
output in all directions - unlike most LEDs which have a lens focusing it
in fairly narrow beam. So pretty similar to an ordinary filament lamp.
There's a few occasions when I'd like LEDs like this, but haven't seen
them on sale in the component suppliers. What should I be looking for?

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andrew Gabriel December 22nd 08 12:51 PM

LED Xmas lights

In article ,
Owain writes:
dave wrote:
ps I bought a set of lights from B&? last year (filament I admit) but
1/3 of the lamps have already packed up.

I bought a set in woolie's sale the other week and they're already dying.

But for 70p...

I bought some spare LEDs from Wooleys. They were 6p for a pack
of several (somewhere between 6 and 10 - can't recall now).
Tried them when I got home, and they're blue (at least, the
first 2 were). Must admit, I did wonder why you'd want spare
LEDs -- now I know.

I did once buy some axial LEDs which radiate in all directions
except along the axis. They were from a radio fare. Never seen
them since. I presume they were for making up light strings.
(Axial LEDs which emit in one direction are easy to find.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Plowman (News) December 22nd 08 01:28 PM

LED Xmas lights

In article ,
Bovvered? wrote:
Just occurred looking at these that they have a pretty constant light
output in all directions - unlike most LEDs which have a lens focusing
it in fairly narrow beam. So pretty similar to an ordinary filament
lamp. There's a few occasions when I'd like LEDs like this, but haven't
seen them on sale in the component suppliers. What should I be looking
for?

Wide angle LEDs

No - those are still far too directional. I want something with a light
output pattern similar to a GLS lamp. Ie, all round with the exception of
the cap.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Andrew Gabriel December 22nd 08 01:34 PM

LED Xmas lights

In article ,
dave writes:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:22:28 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Just occurred looking at these that they have a pretty constant light
output in all directions - unlike most LEDs which have a lens focusing it
in fairly narrow beam. So pretty similar to an ordinary filament lamp.
There's a few occasions when I'd like LEDs like this, but haven't seen
them on sale in the component suppliers. What should I be looking for?

Sandpaper.

Yes it can work., I filed one down past the lens once but the surface
needs much polishing - noit worth the effort really.

The christmas ones seem to have a conical hole for a lens.
If you can accurately drill into the end, you might be able
to create the same effect.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Plowman (News) December 24th 08 10:50 AM

LED Xmas lights

In article
,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 22 Dec, 13:28, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Bovvered? wrote:

Just occurred looking at these that they have a pretty constant
light output in all directions - unlike most LEDs which have a lens
focusing it in fairly narrow beam. So pretty similar to an ordinary
filament lamp. There's a few occasions when I'd like LEDs like
this, but haven't

them on sale in the component suppliers.
What should I be looking for?
Wide angle LEDs

No - those are still far too directional. I want something with a
light output pattern similar to a GLS lamp. Ie, all round with the
exception of the cap.

Generic name is "inverted cone" or in big LEDs "side emitting"

Thanks for that. The ones I was looking at seem to have what looks like a
sphere round the electrodes - then the whole lot encased in a transparent
tube.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

PCPaul December 24th 08 05:52 PM

LED Xmas lights

wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Just occurred looking at these that they have a pretty constant light
output in all directions - unlike most LEDs which have a lens focusing
it in fairly narrow beam. So pretty similar to an ordinary filament
lamp. There's a few occasions when I'd like LEDs like this, but
haven't seen them on sale in the component suppliers. What should I be
looking for?

Sandpaper.

Yes it can work., I filed one down past the lens once but the surface
needs much polishing - noit worth the effort really.

Flame polish them. It won't be optically perfect, but you explicitly
don't want that...

....you can also do them tens or hundreds at a time.