Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet cistern condensation

Mains filled toilet cistern with vast amounts of condensation running
off it.

It's already boxed in.
The bathroom has (working) humidstat extractor fan.
The bathroom has heating.

So that rules out the three most commonly suggested "fixes" which
leaves me with the other things that people have suggested from time
to time:

Drip tray. These don't seem to exist, or I can't find them.
Tri-wall cistern. These don't seem to exist, or I can't find them.
Insulated cistern. These don't seem to exist, or I can't find them.

So that just leaves:

Insulate the interior of the cistern myself. It seems I have a choice
of cutting up a yoga mat and gluing it on (I can't see that working,
at least not if I do it, anyway), or spraying some kind of insulating
foam on the inside.

Does that sound right? Or have I missed another easy solution?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Winelight wrote:
[...]

We too have boxed in cisterns.
One of those is mains fed.
Neither exhibits any condensation. (Not saying that there is never any
trace if you looked hard. But there is never any sign of there having
been dampness.)

Both are mildly heated (except when actually using the bathroom).

I think that the humidity is still high in your bathroom - regardless of
the humidistat. We have a very cheap clock/thermometer/hygrometer. Maybe
you could get hold of one and actually check the (relative) humidity levels?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Winelight wrote:
[...]

This suggests to me that the humidity is still too high in the the boxed
in section.
Maybe you should increase the airflow from the warmed bathroom area into
the boxed in area.

Could it be that moisture laden air is getting into the boxed in area
from somewhere else/floor below or adjacent room.

Both our bathrooms have boxed in cisterns and don't seem to exhibit this
phenomenon.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 08:18:58 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
Winelight wrote this:-

Does that sound right? Or have I missed another easy solution?

Don't feed it from the mains.

Others are right, if there is vast amounts of condensation then the
humidity around it is probably somewhat high.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Others are right, if there is vast amounts of condensation then the
humidity around it is probably somewhat high.

It must be the humidity around it rather than the humidity
generally... the bathroom humidistat is adjusted as low as practical
without the fan actually running 24x7 (which it does anyway in the
summer of course). The humidity from the rest of the house should be
low - humidstat fans in the kitchen and utility room, but the kitchen
one rarely comes on because of course there's another extractor fan
over the cooker.

But there's no ventilation at all for the boxing around the cistern.
The cistern is against an outside wall so the boxing will have the
effect of lowering the temperature in the boxed area, if that makes
any difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Winelight" wrote in message
[...]

I put a flexible piece of pipe with a coil in it inside and then hooked it
up to the
central heating. It warms the water, so no condensation. And it flushes
with
fairly hot water!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 19:03, "Ian Vandahl" wrote:
I put a flexible piece of pipe with a coil in it inside and then hooked it
up to the
central heating. *It warms the water, so no condensation. *And it flushes
with
fairly hot water!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the suggestion, that would be good but we don't have hot
water heating!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Winelight" wrote in message
On 20 Dec, 19:03, "Ian Vandahl" wrote:
I put a flexible piece of pipe with a coil in it inside and then
hooked it
up to the
central heating. It warms the water, so no condensation. And it flushes
with
fairly hot water!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the suggestion, that would be good but we don't have hot
water heating!

Aquarium heater?

In a former house I just put a receptacle underneath to catch the drips.
The water supply and stop valve were in the cloakroom. I put plastic
pipe covers on the pipes but when very cold mains water enters a warm
house it is difficult to avoid some condensation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Never understood why small bathrooms have a cistern in them - for an
upstairs bathroom a cistern in the loft would free up space in the bathroom
and give a better flush. Bring back the chain!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 20:50, "dennis@home" wrote:
Aquarium heater?

Actually, thinking about it, presumably people don't usually recommend
spraying the outside of the cistern with insulating foam because it
will look naff?

But, this cistern is boxed in. So I might just do that.

Toilet cistern chudford UK diy 7 August 19th 08 11:34 PM
Toilet cistern Staffbull UK diy 5 January 16th 07 01:57 PM
Condensation on cistern AA UK diy 8 December 6th 06 11:46 AM
The cistern and toilet The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 12 January 22nd 06 07:49 PM
Toilet Cistern John UK diy 4 December 4th 04 12:02 AM