Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

Tayyab submitted this idea :
On Saturday, 20 December 2008 at 18:22:28 UTC+5, Rod wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:
Phil L wrote:
I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to
make one decent one out of, but never completed, and another one
which is too far gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of
vacuum spares knocking about.
I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember years ago that
our old hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at the flick of a
switch, someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way,
IE connect live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the
opposite direction, although I've not tried it.
My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for
various jobs and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the
connections around in the motor, will it do as I want and start
blowing or will it just blow up? - I'm not too bothered if it does
the latter as I've got quite a few, also, do I need to make this
connection at the motor end or can I just reverse the wires in the
plug?
Or is it a non starter?

TIA

It hasn't occurred to you that a motor that sucks also blows out of the
other end? Isn't it easier to just point the existing exit at whatever you
want to blow at?

Many years ago, parents had an Electrolux cylinder cleaner. That had a
connector under the filter/outlet air vent - you could connect the hose
to that. IIRC they actually sold something like a spray gun that was
intended to work like that.
--
Rod
onset.

you can give try to dyson vacuums, they are very sturdy, rugged and robust.
easy to handle and low power consumption.
https://findbestvacuums.com/dyson-dc41-review/

It doesn't much matter which way the motor rotates, a vacuum uses an
axial fan, so air will still flow the same way. Besides, you cannot
reverse a 240v motor, by simply swapping the L an N over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 13:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Besides, you cannot reverse a 240v motor, by simply swapping the L an N
over.

yes, you can, if its a universal motor (with carbon brushes and field
windings) and you only swap either the field or the brushes

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher presented the following explanation :
yes, you can, if its a universal motor (with carbon brushes and field
windings) and you only swap either the field or the brushes

True, but not by simply swapping the L and N input as the OP was
suggesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Hypothyroidism is a seriously debilitating condition with an
insidious onset.

you can give try to dyson vacuums, they are very sturdy, rugged and
robust. easy to handle and low power consumption.
https://findbestvacuums.com/dyson-dc41-review/

It doesn't much matter which way the motor rotates, a vacuum uses an
axial fan, so air will still flow the same way.

Centrifugal, not axial. Axial do reverse flow when you reverse
direction. Centrifugals just lose efficiency.

Besides, you cannot reverse a 240v motor, by simply swapping the L an N over.

But you can reverse the supply to either the field or the rotor -
assuming an old, brushed motor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Steve Walker wrote :
Centrifugal, not axial. Axial do reverse flow when you reverse direction.
Centrifugals just lose efficiency.

Yes, sorry, you are correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 11:50, Fredxx wrote:
On 13/02/2021 05:35, Tayyab wrote:

you can give try to dyson vacuums, they are very sturdy, rugged and
robust. easy to handle and low power consumption.
Â* https://findbestSPAM.com/dyson-dc41-review/

I'm impressed you replied to a 2008 post.

Was an attempt at spamming his link, he is not reading this.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Walker
writes
On 13/02/2021 09:35, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
That is correct, we had one branded Vactric like this. You just took the
filter off the back end and you had a screw thread you could attach things
too. Its not done these days, for whatever reason. Most are crammed full of
filters which get clogged up and need a good wash or replacing every so
often.
Brian

My parents had a cylinder vac when I was a toddler and passed it on to
me when I bought a house. It must have been over 30 years old when it
gave up (it had been running for years with two blades missing from one
of its impellers - one I removed to balance it up when it lost one).

That vac had the same hose fitting on each end, so switching it to blow
just meant pulling the hose from one end (pull back the release ring
and it just came out) and putting it in the other end, so it took just
a couple of seconds.

No filters to remove - it just had a cloth bag.

Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck in
the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools - such as
the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

We had one of those. Wish I could remember the make. We also used the
spray gun attachment.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2021 15:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Steve Walker wrote :
Centrifugal, not axial. Axial do reverse flow when you reverse
direction. Centrifugals just lose efficiency.

Yes, sorry, you are correct.

Everyone makes mistakes. At least you knew there was a difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck
in the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools - such
as the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

We had one of those. Wish I could remember the make. We also used the
spray gun attachment.

This was the one we had

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1960s-electrolux-vacuum-475122294
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 16:14, Andy Burns wrote:
bert wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck
in the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools -
such as the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

We had one of those. Wish I could remember the make. We also used the
spray gun attachment.

This was the one we had

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1960s-electrolux-vacuum-475122294

The hose and fitting look very similar, as does the red (metal?) casing,
although ours was blue. The white ends are a little different, the inlet
end being black and a little more rounded. The outlet end also being
black. I can't see the outlet end, but ours had a cast metal section,
with knurled screw in the centre. Ours also did not have the handle on
top, instead having a luggage type one - a horizontal strap, with the
ends in metal covers - along the top of the casing. Underneath are a
pair of metal skids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 11:08, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/02/2021 09:35, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
That is correct, we had one branded Vactric like this. You just took the
filter off the back end and you had a screw thread you could attach
things
too. Its not done these days, for whatever reason. Most are crammed
full of
filters which get clogged upÂ* and need a good wash or replacing every so
often.
Â* Brian

My parents had a cylinder vac when I was a toddler and passed it on to
me when I bought a house. It must have been over 30 years old when it
gave up (it had been running for years with two blades missing from one
of its impellers - one I removed to balance it up when it lost one).

That vac had the same hose fitting on each end, so switching it to blow
just meant pulling the hose from one end (pull back the release ring and
it just came out) and putting it in the other end, so it took just a
couple of seconds.

No filters to remove - it just had a cloth bag.

Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck in
the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools - such as
the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

We had a Hoover Portable in Orange.

https://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/T...HREAD.cgi?3774

Also had a blowing function, ye move the hose to another port on the
case. I remember air that came out of there was rather hot.

Independence Day 2018 Special Part Two Hoover Portable Cleaning Center
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJd27603Vk

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
bert wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck
in the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools -
such as the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

We had one of those. Wish I could remember the make. We also used the
spray gun attachment.

This was the one we had

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...trolux-vacuum-
475122294

My mother's one was even older than that. ISTR the hose could be plugged
in the other end to operate the paint sprayer.

My one attempt at spraying cellulose found a large quantity of hair etc.
from the filter bag embedded in the finish:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
bert wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck
in the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools -
such as the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

We had one of those. Wish I could remember the make. We also used the
spray gun attachment.

This was the one we had

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...trolux-vacuum-
475122294

I remember my father using the attachment to our Electrolux to spray
paint.

We also had one in Physics classes at school to levitate ping-pong balls
to demonstrate Bernoulli's effect.

Brian

--
Brian Howie