DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Locked out of garage (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/266826-locked-out-garage.html)

[email protected] December 14th 08 09:24 PM

Locked out of garage

Hi Group,

I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up and
over garage door.
However now when I unlock the handle the handle will not turn 90
degrees to the right as it normally does
for moving the bars behind the door. So my guess is the lock part
isn't working.
How can I fix this? It is the only access into the garage. Should I
drill out the lock part of the handle to
release the handle?

Phil L December 14th 08 09:49 PM

Locked out of garage

wrote:
Hi Group,

I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up and
over garage door.
However now when I unlock the handle the handle will not turn 90
degrees to the right as it normally does
for moving the bars behind the door. So my guess is the lock part
isn't working.
How can I fix this? It is the only access into the garage. Should I
drill out the lock part of the handle to
release the handle?

What have you tried already, so that we aren't going over stuff you've
already tried?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

A.Lee December 14th 08 10:19 PM

Locked out of garage

wrote:
I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up and
over garage door.
However now when I unlock the handle the handle will not turn 90
degrees to the right as it normally does
for moving the bars behind the door. So my guess is the lock part
isn't working.
How can I fix this?

If it isnt turning, and oil sprayed into the keyhole doesnt work, then
it is new lock time usually.
£15 upwards, depending on which type of lock.

It is the only access into the garage. Should I drill out the lock part
of the handle to release the handle?

If no other access, then yes.
Alan.

tim..... December 14th 08 10:22 PM

Locked out of garage

wrote in message

Hi Group,

I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up and
over garage door.
However now when I unlock the handle the handle will not turn 90
degrees to the right as it normally does
for moving the bars behind the door. So my guess is the lock part
isn't working.
How can I fix this? It is the only access into the garage. Should I
drill out the lock part of the handle to
release the handle?

It's often possible to just "bounce" the door open. The bolts don't
normally make a very good fit

tim

Dave Liquorice[_2_] December 14th 08 10:28 PM

Locked out of garage

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:24:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up and
over garage door. However now when I unlock the handle the handle will
not turn 90 degrees to the right as it normally does

Given it a wiggle? Wear may mean things aren't lining up correctly without
a wiggle...

Failing that the latch is not very substantial on most garage doors. It
might be locked but it isn't secure in any strong meaning of the word
secure. The latch is normally just a bit of thin bent steel into a similar
bit of thin steel a bit of prying and prising at the top center of the
door will probably open it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Matty F December 14th 08 11:53 PM

Locked out of garage

On Dec 15, 10:24 am, "
wrote:

How can I fix this? It is the only access into the garage.

It may be possible to poke a piece of wire in the gap above the door
and hook on to whatever is attached to the bolts on each side.
Otherwise remove a sheet of roofing if that's possible. I have a
hidden emergency door with its own lock in case of a power cut, since
the main door is motor operated.

The Medway Handyman December 15th 08 08:36 AM

Locked out of garage

A.Lee wrote:
wrote:
I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up
and over garage door.
However now when I unlock the handle the handle will not turn 90
degrees to the right as it normally does
for moving the bars behind the door. So my guess is the lock part
isn't working.
How can I fix this?

If it isnt turning, and oil sprayed into the keyhole doesnt work, then
it is new lock time usually.
£15 upwards, depending on which type of lock.

It is the only access into the garage. Should I drill out the lock
part of the handle to release the handle?

If no other access, then yes.

Easier to drill the fixing bolts if you can see them or guesstimate where
they are. A neighbours garage prolly has the same make of lock so you could
have a look at the inside.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Fred December 15th 08 09:59 AM

Locked out of garage

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:24:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up and
over garage door. However now when I unlock the handle the handle will
not turn 90 degrees to the right as it normally does

Given it a wiggle? Wear may mean things aren't lining up correctly without
a wiggle...

Failing that the latch is not very substantial on most garage doors. It
might be locked but it isn't secure in any strong meaning of the word
secure. The latch is normally just a bit of thin bent steel into a similar
bit of thin steel a bit of prying and prising at the top center of the
door will probably open it.

A spade used at the centre between the frame and door can normally open the
gap up sufficiently to release the catch. Garages are rarely secure!!

Kevin December 15th 08 12:35 PM

Locked out of garage

Fred wrote:
[...]

no good for the doors with two metal rods that go through the frame on
either side

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

[email protected] December 15th 08 02:16 PM

Locked out of garage

On Dec 14, 9:24*pm, "
wrote:
Hi Group,

I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up and
over garage door.
However now when I unlock the handle the handle will not turn 90
degrees to the right as it normally does
for moving the bars behind the door. So my guess is the lock part
isn't working.
How can I fix this? It is the only access into the garage. Should I
drill out the lock part of the handle to
release the handle?

Thanks to all those that replied.
Our door is quite sturdy not one of these cheap ones.
No amount of wiggling or tapping with a hammer
would make it move so drilled out the lock part
and the handle then freed up.
Had to borrow the drill! My one is in the garage!

The Medway Handyman December 15th 08 06:57 PM

Locked out of garage

wrote:
On Dec 14, 9:24 pm, "
wrote:
Hi Group,

I have a problem with my garage door lock. It is a conventional up
and over garage door.
However now when I unlock the handle the handle will not turn 90
degrees to the right as it normally does
for moving the bars behind the door. So my guess is the lock part
isn't working.
How can I fix this? It is the only access into the garage. Should I
drill out the lock part of the handle to
release the handle?

Thanks to all those that replied.
Our door is quite sturdy not one of these cheap ones.
No amount of wiggling or tapping with a hammer
would make it move so drilled out the lock part
and the handle then freed up.

Had to borrow the drill! My one is in the garage!

I did wonder about that :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk