DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loft Access (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/266425-loft-access.html)

John December 8th 08 04:58 PM

Loft Access

A mate retired from a ladder company and has started to fit loft ladders as
a part time business. He mentioned rebates for fitting hinges and I wondered
if he was using the most appropriate type of hinge. I suggested piano hinge
might be easy.

Any other suggestions?

The Medway Handyman December 8th 08 11:40 PM

Loft Access

John wrote:
A mate retired from a ladder company and has started to fit loft
ladders as a part time business. He mentioned rebates for fitting
hinges and I wondered if he was using the most appropriate type of
hinge. I suggested piano hinge might be easy.

I've always found the time consuming bit of fitting new loft ladders is
modifying the hatch from 'lift out' to 'hinged'.

Never thought of piano hinge, can't see why it wouldn't work offhand.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Stuart Noble December 9th 08 11:03 AM

Loft Access

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:
A mate retired from a ladder company and has started to fit loft
ladders as a part time business. He mentioned rebates for fitting
hinges and I wondered if he was using the most appropriate type of
hinge. I suggested piano hinge might be easy.

I've always found the time consuming bit of fitting new loft ladders is
modifying the hatch from 'lift out' to 'hinged'.

Never thought of piano hinge, can't see why it wouldn't work offhand.

Takes size 4 screws IIRC. I'd rather fix to the face of whatever the
door's made from than the edge.