Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The unvented cylinder annual inspection myth?

I can't find any evidence that unvented cylinders require an annual
inspection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I can't find any evidence that unvented cylinders require an annual
inspection.

Given their explosive potential in an overheat situation and a stuck
pressure relief valve, don't you sleep a little easier if it's been
inspected regularly? ;-)

It doesn't seem to be law but just prudent. http://yaph.co.uk/unvented/

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 14:21, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
wrote in message

I can't find any evidence that unvented cylinders require an annual
inspection.

Given their explosive potential in an overheat situation and a stuck
pressure relief valve, don't you sleep a little easier if it's been
inspected regularly? ;-)

It doesn't seem to be law but just prudent. *http://yaph.co.uk/unvented/

Tim

If you buy a good quality cylinder (I'm going to get an Oso) and have
the appropriate safety ancillaries installed I can't see the point in
wasting time and money on an annual inspection by someone who has gone
on a 0.5 day "course".

I became curious about this as it is supposedly one of the benefits of
a thermal store that annual certificated inspection isn't mandatory.
Yet another non-reason to get a thermal store!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 2 Dec, 14:21, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
wrote in message

I can't find any evidence that unvented cylinders require an annual
inspection.

Given their explosive potential in an overheat situation and a stuck
pressure relief valve, don't you sleep a little easier if it's been
inspected regularly? ;-)

It doesn't seem to be law but just prudent.
http://yaph.co.uk/unvented/

Tim

If you buy a good quality cylinder (I'm going to get an Oso) and have
the appropriate safety ancillaries installed I can't see the point in
wasting time and money on an annual inspection by someone who has gone
on a 0.5 day "course".

It's still a pressure vessel with explosive potential (more so than a vented
cylinder). Safety ancillaries can and do fail. May not be hard to check
yourself if you know what you're doing but I'm not sure I'd want to live on
the other side of a party wall to one that hadn't been inspected for years.
For most non-DIYers, annual inspection probably makes sense.

As long as it's not going to affect others you can decide what level of risk
you're prepared to live with.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:

If you buy a good quality cylinder (I'm going to get an Oso) and have
the appropriate safety ancillaries installed I can't see the point in
wasting time and money on an annual inspection by someone who has gone
on a 0.5 day "course".

It's still a pressure vessel with explosive potential (more so than a vented
cylinder). Safety ancillaries can and do fail. May not be hard to check
yourself if you know what you're doing but I'm not sure I'd want to live on
the other side of a party wall to one that hadn't been inspected for years.
For most non-DIYers, annual inspection probably makes sense.

I think there is another misconception here as well. The only time a
pressurised water cylinder is at explosion risk is going to be when it
has the possibility of being heated to over the boiling point of the
water content. Then there is the risk of the explosive production of
steam should it rupture.

For a cylinder heated via a water flow from a boiler, the chances of
super heating it seem minimal. (after all, pressure testing of steam or
compressed air systems is often done with water because of its
significantly lower risk - its lack of compressibility making it very
difficult to store mechanical energy in it)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 15:10, John Rumm wrote:

The only time a
pressurised water cylinder is at explosion risk is going to be when it
has the possibility of being heated to over the boiling point of the
water content.

Not true. It's a pressurised system with an air reservoir. If
punctured, it will spray hot water at system pressure in a way that
vented systems won't. That's itself a hazard (depending on location).

Any central heating system capable of sinking a trawler (look it up!)
needs some degree of care in its maintenance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John Rumm wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

[...]

But if it has an immersion element, then that would change the risks.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

[...]

You're forgeting Sods law. The only time the safety valve is likely to get
stressed is when your CH boiler packs up on Christmas Eve and you turn on
the immersion element that's not been used in years. A sticky stat in that
and a sticking safety valve can then lead to an explosive situation. A
vented cylinder needs another level of system failure before it can blow.

The risk is low but it's a hgher risk than an vented cylinder.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...

I think there is another misconception here as well. The only time a
pressurised water cylinder is at explosion risk is going to be when it has
the possibility of being heated to over the boiling point of the water
content. Then there is the risk of the explosive production of steam
should it rupture.

They all have electric immersions, which fail more easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:56:28 -0000
"Tim Downie" wrote:

wrote:
On 2 Dec, 14:21, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I have an OSO unvented cylinder (it's in the garage with the oil
boiler). I would like to check the safety valves myself, but where do
I find out how?

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

If you buy a good quality cylinder
(I'm going to get an Oso) and have
the appropriate safety ancillaries
installed I can't see the point in
wasting time and money on an annual
inspection by someone who has gone
on a 0.5 day "course".

Have an explosion or leak and the insurance company will disown you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

replying to tom.harrigan, Me wrote:
If you own your property then you don't legally require annual certification.
But if your cylinder splits or the hot water side bursts a pipe and floods the
place, the insurance company will ask for your certification as it's part of
your contract with insurance company to "do all within your means to look
after insured property"

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...th-525079-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I can't find any evidence that unvented cylinders require an annual
inspection.

Read the instructions.

DIY unvented water 'cylinder' PCPaul UK diy 52 July 17th 08 06:01 PM
Unvented cylinder required James Salisbury UK diy 14 July 10th 07 12:40 AM
Pumped unvented cylinder vs combi cylinder? Niall Smart UK diy 11 February 13th 07 11:23 AM
Which Unvented Cylinder SidKnee UK diy 2 July 22nd 05 10:44 AM
unvented H/w cylinder mike ring UK diy 27 May 25th 04 01:40 PM