DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Copper prices (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/265166-copper-prices.html)

slider November 20th 08 09:26 AM

Copper prices

Is the price of copper still high at the moment. A friend is having his
conventional CH / DHW system changed to a condensing combi. I told him not
to let the plumber take the copper hot water cylinder, but to either scrap
it or put it on ebay.

How much would one get scrapping a copper hot water cylinder?

Kevin Poole[_6_] November 20th 08 01:03 PM

Copper prices

Slider wrote:
Is the price of copper still high at the moment.

No

According to

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/me...rchive2008.jsp

braziery copper (i.e. copper pipe etc with brass fittings on it) is down
from £2900/tonne to £1200

A friend is having his
conventional CH / DHW system changed to a condensing combi. I told him not
to let the plumber take the copper hot water cylinder,

What did the contract say about scrap materials?

but to either scrap
it or put it on ebay.

I'd be surprised if many people are buying secondhand indirect
cylinders, given the number of people converting to combis.

How much would one get scrapping a copper hot water cylinder?

£15-£20 perhaps? Less if you go to one of the rag-and-bone man types of
yard.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****

Andrew Gabriel November 21st 08 01:45 AM

Copper prices

In article ,
Kevin Poole writes:
How much would one get scrapping a copper hot water cylinder?

£15-£20 perhaps? Less if you go to one of the rag-and-bone man types of
yard.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks back, a builder I was talking
with said scrap yard won't pay him anything for a copper hot
water now (or two weeks ago). Aparently there's a backlog of
copper in the chain and suddenly no demand for it. They would
only pay for clean copper. They would still take the rest, but
wouldn't pay anything for it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

tony sayer November 21st 08 08:39 AM

Copper prices

In article , Andrew Gabriel
scribeth thus
In article ,
Kevin Poole writes:
How much would one get scrapping a copper hot water cylinder?

£15-£20 perhaps? Less if you go to one of the rag-and-bone man types of
yard.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks back, a builder I was talking
with said scrap yard won't pay him anything for a copper hot
water now (or two weeks ago). Aparently there's a backlog of
copper in the chain and suddenly no demand for it. They would
only pay for clean copper. They would still take the rest, but
wouldn't pay anything for it.

So does this mean the Pikey's will now stop nicking it?...
--
Tony Sayer