Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden Gate Post

I want fit a wooden garden side gate (1.9m x 0.9m). The hinge side
will be fixed to a wooden plate which will be screwed to the brick
wall of the house. The post on the latch side of the gate needs to be
fixed to a concrete fence post - the type where the fence panels slot
into either side. However the fence, and therefore the face of the
concrete post is at about a 30 degree angle to wall, so either the
post will need to be planned/sawn with one face at an angle, or a
square post plus some angled "spacers".

What's the best way to fix the gate post to the concrete post - can
these posts be drilled to take wall plugs (or frame fixings)?

Any advice appreciated.

(and no, I don't want to dig up the driveway to put the fence post
into the ground!).

Thanks, David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
I want fit a wooden garden side gate (1.9m x 0.9m). The hinge side
will be fixed to a wooden plate which will be screwed to the brick
wall of the house. The post on the latch side of the gate needs to be
fixed to a concrete fence post - the type where the fence panels slot
into either side. However the fence, and therefore the face of the
concrete post is at about a 30 degree angle to wall, so either the
post will need to be planned/sawn with one face at an angle, or a
square post plus some angled "spacers".

What's the best way to fix the gate post to the concrete post - can
these posts be drilled to take wall plugs (or frame fixings)?

Yes, but be careful of any steel reinforcing that's in them.

Any advice appreciated.

Keep the posts 20mm up off the driveway - this will stop water being soaked
up through the end grain therefore reducing the likelyhood of rot.

(and no, I don't want to dig up the driveway to put the fence post
into the ground!).

Spoilsport - the making good to this is half the fun of the job. ;-)

Woodworm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
I want fit a wooden garden side gate (1.9m x 0.9m). The hinge side
will be fixed to a wooden plate which will be screwed to the brick
wall of the house. The post on the latch side of the gate needs to be
fixed to a concrete fence post - the type where the fence panels slot
into either side. However the fence, and therefore the face of the
concrete post is at about a 30 degree angle to wall, so either the
post will need to be planned/sawn with one face at an angle, or a
square post plus some angled "spacers".

What's the best way to fix the gate post to the concrete post - can
these posts be drilled to take wall plugs (or frame fixings)?

Any advice appreciated.

(and no, I don't want to dig up the driveway to put the fence post
into the ground!).

Thanks, David.

Am I reading that wrong? You want to cut the concrete post down on one
edge, so the angle is at 90 degrees with the wall?

Can't you cut a piece of timber to a wedge that fixes to the concrete post?
I think that would be much easier than trying to cut the concrete.

I have missed something, haven't I? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

I think you're reading it wrong Big Wallop - he will have great difficulty
in "planing or sawing" the concrete post! Try thinking of him fitting
timber posts to the concrete - at least that's the way I read it.

Can't you cut a piece of timber to a wedge that fixes to the concrete
post? I think that would be much easier than trying to cut the
concrete.

I think that is what he has actually said - to fit a timber post!

I have missed something, haven't I? :-)

Yes, he said - "The *post* on the latch side of the gate needs to be *fixed*
*to* *a* *concrete* *fence* *post* - ROTFL

Woodworm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
I want fit a wooden garden side gate (1.9m x 0.9m). The hinge side
will be fixed to a wooden plate which will be screwed to the brick
wall of the house. The post on the latch side of the gate needs to be
fixed to a concrete fence post - the type where the fence panels slot
into either side. However the fence, and therefore the face of the
concrete post is at about a 30 degree angle to wall, so either the
post will need to be planned/sawn with one face at an angle, or a
square post plus some angled "spacers".

Far easier to fit the hinges to the timber attached to the concrete post -
they will cope with the angle no prob. If you can't do that the post has to
be angled. Arris rail might do the job but thats 45 degree.

Easy enough to angle the post with a table saw, not something I'd want to
try with a circular saw.

What's the best way to fix the gate post to the concrete post - can
these posts be drilled to take wall plugs (or frame fixings)?

I usually use multi montis, but plugs & screws will work. You will need an
SDS drill. There are normally two strips of rebar, so drill as centrally as
possible to avoid them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Woodworm" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

snipped

I have missed something, haven't I? :-)

Yes, he said - "The *post* on the latch side of the gate needs to be

*fixed*
*to* *a* *concrete* *fence* *post* - ROTFL

Woodworm

Phew!!! I'm glad that's cleared things up. Not paying attention to what
I'm reading. I was the same at school. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote

I want fit a wooden garden side gate (1.9m x 0.9m). The hinge side
will be fixed to a wooden plate which will be screwed to the brick
wall of the house. The post on the latch side of the gate needs to be
fixed to a concrete fence post - the type where the fence panels slot
into either side. However the fence, and therefore the face of the
concrete post is at about a 30 degree angle to wall, so either the
post will need to be planned/sawn with one face at an angle, or a
square post plus some angled "spacers".

What's the best way to fix the gate post to the concrete post - can
these posts be drilled to take wall plugs (or frame fixings)?

Any advice appreciated.

(and no, I don't want to dig up the driveway to put the fence post
into the ground!).

Thanks, David.

If your posts are anything like the ones I have, they are likely to have 2
holes already drilled through them.
One is about 8" from the top, the other a further 48" down.
Ignoring the angle for now, the timber can be bolted using these 2 holes and
M12 bolts.
Did just this 2 weeks ago and it's sound.
Had to cut the bolts down a bit to make sure the nut and bolt end didn't
stop the panel sliding down the inner groove.
Tightened the bolts up so the nut buried itself a bit in the concrete post.

Works for me

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:28:35 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"DavidM" wrote

[...]

I assume from your description that the holes in your post were
through the grooves into which the panels slide. I need to fix the
gate post onto the flat face of the concrete post ie the gate is at
right angles (well actually about 60 degrees) to the line of the
fence, and there are panels on both side of the post so I can't even
bolt an angle bracket on without preventing the posts sliding in.

Z Bar Garden gate no name UK diy 3 October 10th 07 05:31 PM
Garden gate samson Woodworking 2 July 2nd 07 04:33 AM
garden gate sensor advice Roger Taylor Electronics 2 September 2nd 05 07:56 PM
Garden Gate David Lang UK diy 1 July 13th 05 10:44 PM