DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting kitchen cupboards (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/265027-painting-kitchen-cupboards.html)

chudford November 18th 08 04:54 PM

Painting kitchen cupboards

SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint
finish?

Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.

International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?

Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?

Thanks

BigWallop[_2_] November 18th 08 05:15 PM

"chudford" wrote in message
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint
finish?

Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.

International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?

Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?

Thanks

If you want a wood look, cover the doors with a thin veneer. That just
glues on the face with a spread of PVA wood glue and a couple of clamps.

Melamine door finish is horrible to paint on. That's why some paint makers
have come up with those "Special" paints. The "Special" paint actually
melts its way into the surface of the melamine coating.

A wash with sugar soap then a rub with coarse sandpaper before painting is
best. It leaves the melamine rough to grab the paint better. It ruins the
smooth finish of the original door, but maybe that's why your painting them
in the first place. :-)

The Natural Philosopher November 18th 08 06:14 PM

chudford wrote:
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint
finish?

Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.

International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?

Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?

Thanks

Get cans of car spray paint from halfords ;-)

[email protected] November 18th 08 06:42 PM

Painting kitchen cupboards

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:14:43 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

chudford wrote:
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint
finish?

Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.

International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?

Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?

Thanks

Get cans of car spray paint from halfords ;-)

I guess you haven't done much spraying with aerosols then?
And not a good idea to do it outside at this time of year .It's a warm
weather job to avoid bloom.

The Medway Handyman November 18th 08 11:27 PM

chudford wrote:
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint
finish?

Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.

International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?

Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?

I've only used the International melamine paint amd found it worked very
well (brush). I used white to cover a very bright blue corner unit infill,
one coat did the job.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

S Viemeister[_2_] November 19th 08 12:25 AM

Owain wrote:
chudford wrote:
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

They do get these silly ideas into their little heads don't they.

New doors might be quicker/easier.

Teach her how to paint.
When I decided my kitchen cabinets needed to be a different colour, I
painted them myself.

BigWallop[_2_] November 19th 08 01:00 AM

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
chudford wrote:
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

They do get these silly ideas into their little heads don't they.

New doors might be quicker/easier.

Teach her how to paint.
When I decided my kitchen cabinets needed to be a different colour, I
painted them myself.

Yeah. But. You is one of dem one's wiv no feer. You know, dem real
dangerous ones.

The Natural Philosopher November 19th 08 11:31 PM

wrote:

chudford wrote:
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.

What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint
finish?

Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.

International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?

Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?

Thanks
Get cans of car spray paint from halfords ;-)

I guess you haven't done much spraying with aerosols then?
And not a good idea to do it outside at this time of year .It's a warm
weather job to avoid bloom.

If you do go the spray route, it must be outside, otherwise just about
everything will get painted, and you can get in trouble from the
fumes.

Wusses the lot of you.

Overspray isn't that bad, and is catered for by enough newspapers.

I do it in a spare room, open window, shot door, and leave it till the
next coat.

NT

The Natural Philosopher November 19th 08 11:33 PM

Man at B&Q wrote:
wrote:
chudford wrote:
SWMBO has decided she wants the kitchen cupboards painted.
What do you think is the best way to achieve a good durable paint
finish?
Crown sell a special undercoat for cupboards and a special top coat.
International sell a one coat paint for cupboards.
Has anyone had good or bad experience with these or others?
Finally is it best to roll, brush or spray the paint on?
Thanks
Get cans of car spray paint from halfords ;-)
I guess you haven't done much spraying with aerosols then?
And not a good idea to do it outside at this time of year .It's a warm
weather job to avoid bloom.

If you do go the spray route, it must be outside, otherwise just about
everything will get painted, and you can get in trouble from the
fumes.

Not to mention SWMBO.

Well she paints herself enough..

MBQ