Old June 13th 18, 06:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cavity wall insulation

replying to chudford, Steve Scott wrote:
Hi I'm in a persimmon Hatfield house. The house is 18 months old. When sold I
asked the cwi question and was told they are a traditional builder and as such
didn't supply any form of cwi just brick and a thermal block. So what I'm
saying is some builders only do the bare minimum.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...on-520978-.htm

Old June 14th 18, 06:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 November 2008 23:56:49 UTC, jim wrote:
On 16 Nov, 17:46, chudford wrote:
I thought that all modern houses had to have cavity wall insulation.

No: Walls have to meet the thermal resistance standard specified in
the building regs.
There are many ways to achieve that.

snip

We are now planning to have the insulation installed,

I'd be very wary of doing that. It may last a few years but you might
end up with a different problem or 2. Cavity walls need an air gap in
the cavity of at least 25mm against the outside wall. Water vapour
from the atmosphere inevitably percolates through the outside brick
skin & the air gap allows this to run down the inner surface of the
wall. Without it the insulating rockwool or fibre in the cavity will
get wet & become ineffective. Other types of filling have their own
problems. Also shaling may occur on the outside brick face.

but what were
the regs 8 years ago

Much the same as now except required level of thermal resistance has
been upped + some options verboten. You need to check the building
regs for exact info or if you are lucky someone else will be along
this way soon with chapter & verse :-)

and should Redrow have been allowed to get away
with not installing cavity wall insulation?

IMHO they didn't 'get away' with anything: they made the best
engineering decision.

Incidently we thought the house was a bit cold and the heating bills
high.

underrated CH boiler? under-rated rads not heating up fast enough?

You might do better to concentrate your efforts on upping attic
insulation & look at ways of minimising heat loss in exposed sections
of your house - curtains, carpets etc can all help. Can you mask a
wall exposed to the full force of cold winds so that they are
deflected, eg by repositioning a shed? Consider putting rockwool
insulation between ceiling joists over living rooms. We found that
made quite a difference to comfort in our sitting room.

Blown in cavity wall fibres are silicon coated to make them water repellent.
As are the cavity wall bats.
https://www.nia-uk.org/consumer/unde...-mineral-wool/
Old June 14th 18, 06:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

2008?
Deja view all over again.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old June 14th 18, 06:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 7:20:28 PM UTC, Phil L wrote:
chudford wrote:

Why housebuilders go down this route is beyond me - the cost of the thicker
blocks far outweighs the price of having regular blocks and CWI

Perhaps it's quicker to build. The cost of the materials might not be a major factor.

Robert

Old June 14th 18, 07:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Phil L wrote
chudford wrote

Why housebuilders go down this route is beyond me - the cost of the
thicker blocks far outweighs the price of having regular blocks and CWI

Perhaps it's quicker to build. The cost of the materials might not be a
major factor.

The thicker blocks and be a real bugger at the end
of the day, lifting them up to head height etc.

Old June 14th 18, 08:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2018 06:12, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 November 2008 23:56:49 UTC, jim wrote:
On 16 Nov, 17:46, chudford wrote:
I thought that all modern houses had to have cavity wall insulation.

You might do better to concentrate your efforts on upping attic
insulation & look at ways of minimising heat loss in exposed sections
of your house - curtains, carpets etc can all help. Can you mask a
wall exposed to the full force of cold winds so that they are
deflected, eg by repositioning a shed? Consider putting rockwool
insulation between ceiling joists over living rooms. We found that
made quite a difference to comfort in our sitting room.

Blown in cavity wall fibres are silicon coated to make them water repellent.
As are the cavity wall bats.
https://www.nia-uk.org/consumer/unde...-mineral-wool/

That wasn't always so. Newcastle has a problem with rogue cavity wall
installations from about 10 years ago that are still just about under
guarantee failing in large numbers because the fibre method used has
bridged the outer and inner wall causing widespread penetrating damp.

I happened to meet one of the insurance assessors when he was looking at
my brother in law's house. It has wrong method of insulation but so far
doesn't have any obvious signs of water ingress. The guy suggested
moving any furniture backed up against outside walls and taking a look
since the deadline for making a claim was fast approaching.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 14th 18, 10:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 16:36:13 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

Perhaps it's quicker to build. The cost of the materials might not be a
major factor.

The thicker blocks and be a real bugger

Thick and a bugger, that's what you are, Rot!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.