Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default Converting normal door to be a sliding door?

Now the new boiler and store is in place, I've ripped out the huge double
airing cupboard and now have to sort out the room to be a useful bedroom.

We've ordered a HiSleeper (bed on big legs - big *expensive* legs :-/) and
while measuring up today the thought of converting the door to be a sliding
door crossed my mind...

I was pondering changing the way the door is hung so that it opened outwards
but that isn't great as it's at the top of the stairs - recipe for disaster.

Looking at screwfix they appear to have a "kit" for 25 quid or so - anyone
know if it's any good at all? If it's crap, is there a better, more expensive
solution? Or should I just forget the idea as sliding doors are all just
crap?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12029/...all-Race-762mm

is the thing I was looking at. No bottom track would be kinda essential.

Looking at http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/ shows a mind boggling range
of solutions and prices...

So, anyone done this before? The door is currently a bog standard plain painted
door (crap egg box construction) so nothing too heavy.

Cheers,

Darren (now to attempt to repair the sagging lathe and plaster ceiling - I
*really* don't want to take that down!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dmc" wrote in message ...

Now the new boiler and store is in place, I've ripped out the huge double
airing cupboard and now have to sort out the room to be a useful bedroom.

We've ordered a HiSleeper (bed on big legs - big *expensive* legs :-/) and
while measuring up today the thought of converting the door to be a

sliding
door crossed my mind...

I was pondering changing the way the door is hung so that it opened

outwards
but that isn't great as it's at the top of the stairs - recipe for

disaster.

The simplest sliding door I have made, and is still hung perfectly after ten
years, was made with nylon thread bobbins, a length of 1 X 2 inch timber
double the width of the door and a length of angle iron the same length as
the timber, along with other small bits and pieces for fixings Etc. But
nothing fancy.

Screw the 1 X 2 inch timber to the door lintel and wall, so that it sticks
out the way you want the door to slide open. Drill and screw the length of
angle iron to the 1 X 2 inch timber.

Take two 4 inch screws and cut the heads off. Bend them to ninety (90)
degrees about an inch and half from the head end (although you can get ready
made hooks of this size off the shelf, we made two from the screws). Screw
these bent screws into the top of the door, keeping them to the side that is
against the wall. Leave enough sticking out to accept two thread bobbins on
the bent end. Now the thread bobbins are ready made wheels to run the door
on. Lift the door into position to mount the thread bobbins on to the angle
iron. The door now runs gently along the inside of the angle iron with
grace. A screw on the under side of the timber batten, stops the door
sliding right off the runner (angle iron).

The wheels should be lubricated about once a year to keep everything running
smoothly. Also remember to countersink the angle iron to hide the screw
heads when you paint the finished product.

Our sliding door to the kitchen is still up there, and working perfectly.
Looks just like any other sliding door I've seen. We did have a bobbin
(sorry, wheel) break about a year into using the door, but it was a cheap
thread bobbin to begin with.

I have also seen sliding door follow this same technique, but used toy car
wheels on the top hooks instead of thread bobbins. They worked just as
good.

Have fun with your new project.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:
Now the new boiler and store is in place, I've ripped out the huge
double airing cupboard and now have to sort out the room to be a
useful bedroom.

We've ordered a HiSleeper (bed on big legs - big *expensive* legs
:-/) and while measuring up today the thought of converting the door
to be a sliding door crossed my mind...

I was pondering changing the way the door is hung so that it opened
outwards but that isn't great as it's at the top of the stairs -
recipe for disaster.

Looking at screwfix they appear to have a "kit" for 25 quid or so -
anyone know if it's any good at all? If it's crap, is there a better,
more expensive solution? Or should I just forget the idea as sliding
doors are all just
crap?

I've installed 3 of those SF kits and they do what they say on the tin.
Nothing wrong with the kit & the sliding gear, but they look like crap IMO.

You would need to build a pelmet to cover the sliding gear and build out the
door frame to cover the gap when the door closes. Also, you can't really
lock a sliding door.

The kit works, getting it to look good is a right PITA.

If a customer asks me, I tell them it's possible to do it, but explain the
disadvantages before I take on the job.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:

while measuring up today the thought of converting the door to be a sliding
door crossed my mind...

http://www.eclisse.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
dmc wrote:
[...]

That's normal - ugly things.

You would need to build a pelmet to cover the sliding gear and build
out the door frame to cover the gap when the door closes.

Again, you would normally cover an aftermaket sliding door gear with a
pelmet.

Also, you can't really lock a sliding door.

Yes you can if you adapt the frame by planting a piece on the edge to cover
the door edge.

See:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P..._Budget_Locks/

to get an idea of the hook lock - you can get a better quality that can be
fitted in an existing mortice latch housing with some adjustment and utilise
a set of mortice lock handles.

The kit works, getting it to look good is a right PITA.

That's normal.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever coughed up some electrons that declared:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

snip

I've installed 3 of those SF kits and they do what they say on the
tin. Nothing wrong with the kit & the sliding gear, but they look
like crap IMO.

That's normal - ugly things.

You would need to build a pelmet to cover the sliding gear and build
out the door frame to cover the gap when the door closes.

Again, you would normally cover an aftermaket sliding door gear with a
pelmet.

I agree that stock sliding doors don't always look the best. There is a
variant though, called a "pocket door" and various companies do special
frames that integrate into a drywall - but can cost a small bomb.

If I can persuade SWMBO to accept a few sliding doors in the hall, I have an
easier solution which I'd like to implement: normal door gear so that the
door slides over the hall side of a brick wall, then box the lot in,
forming a false drywall over the entire length of the hall which contains
all the doors.

I reckon it would look rather neat for the cost of the plasterboard and some
battens. The doors have never worked very well in this house due to the
fact they would all clash onto one another if opened outwards and inward
opening is wasting a lot of space in some not very big rooms.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

I agree that stock sliding doors don't always look the best. There is a
variant though, called a "pocket door" and various companies do special
frames that integrate into a drywall - but can cost a small bomb.

The eclisse link I posted is for pocket doors, £269 or £275 for
metric/imperial sizes, no doubt the ones with glass or curved or
telescopic doors *do* cost a bomb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

I agree that stock sliding doors don't always look the best. There is a
variant though, called a "pocket door" and various companies do special
frames that integrate into a drywall - but can cost a small bomb.

The eclisse link I posted is for pocket doors, £269 or £275 for
metric/imperial sizes, no doubt the ones with glass or curved or
telescopic doors *do* cost a bomb.

That's not so bad - I'd seen higher prices for someone else's gear - can;t
remember where now, it was a while ago...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I agree that stock sliding doors don't always look the best. There is a
variant though, called a "pocket door" and various companies do special
frames that integrate into a drywall - but can cost a small bomb.

The eclisse link I posted is for pocket doors, £269 or £275 for
metric/imperial sizes, no doubt the ones with glass or curved or
telescopic doors *do* cost a bomb.

I was pondering http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P...or_Frame_Kit/#

actually before I saw the cheaper Screwfix variant.

Hiding the door in the room isn't a problem - bit of plasterboard etc but I
can't hide the door in the wall as it's a supporting wall and probably best
I don't replace the brickwork with a door pocket

I'm just trying to visualise how crap it would look as you come up the stairs
- I suspect it might look wierd with the door seemingly (well, actually)
floating "behind" the frame instead of in it.

For 25 quid I'm tempted to get one and have a play tbh

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:

How about a bi-fold door ? I have one on the kitchen and one on a small bedroom
and they work well and don't look out of place.

Yes, that would work.

The only bifold doors I have experience of were in a student flat I rented
many years back.

Completely crap plastic things! I'm willing to be corrected if decent ones
exist (although possibly harder to make look similar to the remaining doors
onto the landing I guess...)

Will do a bit more digging.

Darren

Sliding door Terry Cano Home Repair 7 October 22nd 08 01:11 PM
Fitting a stable door - can I simply chop a normal door and fit it? bp UK diy 10 October 19th 08 03:43 AM
Fitting a 71' french door into a 74" sliding door opening Greg Kroll Home Repair 4 March 29th 08 12:17 AM
Converting 2 Garage Doors into 1 Door?? Mikelly Home Repair 7 October 13th 06 02:35 AM
Door closers on every internal door - normal? markc UK diy 11 July 26th 05 04:21 PM