Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting 2 gang socket to 3 gang

If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12362/...ical/Switches-
Sockets/Socket-Converters/Clipsal-Converta-Skt-2G-to-3G-Polycarbonate;jsessionid=AZIRGMOYGVELACSTHZPCFFI?t s=35186
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

No. If it was separately fused, then maybe, but not if the original point
is a spur off.

Go cheaper and plug in a three gang switched extension lead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12362/...ical/Switches-
Sockets/Socket-Converters/Clipsal-Converta-Skt-2G-to-3G-Polycarbonate;jsessionid=AZIRGMOYGVELACSTHZPCFFI?t s=35186

The review posted on the same page suggests it contains a 13A fuse, so if
this is the case, then it's fine. It does however mean, you are only able to
draw 13A from all three sockets combined. So depending on what you are
plugging into it, this may or may not be an issue for you.

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Toby wrote:
wrote:
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12362/...ical/Switches-
Sockets/Socket-Converters/Clipsal-Converta-Skt-2G-to-3G-Polycarbonate;jsessionid=AZIRGMOYGVELACSTHZPCFFI?t s=35186

The review posted on the same page suggests it contains a 13A fuse, so
if this is the case, then it's fine. It does however mean, you are only
able to draw 13A from all three sockets combined. So depending on what
you are plugging into it, this may or may not be an issue for you.

Toby...

I can confirm that it has a little fuse "drawer" on the left end. Note
also that it fits slightly asymmetrically - with an overhang of around
45mm to the left and 25mm to the right. You also need to allow around
20mm to enable the fuse drawer to open and to be closeable.

One oddity - visible in the picture - is that the switches are to the
left of the socket they control. IME, most sockets have the switch to
the right.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

You can fit them as they are fused and limit the current to one sockets
worth.
I have been fitting the four way ones as going from two sockets to three is
as useful as going to four and they cost about the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with a
step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which I
don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end is
called?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:23:19 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with a
step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which I
don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end is
called?

Lok more like self tappers .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 13:24:46 +0000, Rod

wrote:

Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with a
step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which I
don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end is
called?

Lok more like self tappers .

Yes - but the tapered thread seems no sharper edged than a normal
machine screw thread. And is only very short so is quite rounded/blunt.

Having now used them, they did seem to locate well - something that is
quite often awkward with the normal forms. I think that if they approach
the threaded hole slightly off-centre, that end bit will tend to centre
the screw.

Was it a plastic surface box you fixed them to or a metal one ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

[...]

Both!

I did it to a not-in-use plastic box to see what happened. When I fitted
for real it that was to a standard metal back box in the wall.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with a
step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which I
don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end is
called?

--
Rod

Rod

I do know what you mean (because I have fitted these converters many times).
Your link does not work for the photo.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Ooops - must have dropped a few characters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/2995131404/

But you don't know what they are called either. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Those screws are "Self Tappers" because they come to a sharp point and will
cut their own hole. Where do the instructions say they should be used?
Does the three gang socket have holes at the ends to fix them back to the
wall? Does the converta have a knock out on the back to fix it to the
existing back box? Doe the converta come with its own back box for surface
mounting onto an existing sunken back box?

Or, in other words, tell us more about this "Converta" thing you've bought

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

They are called "a pain in the arse". You did not show the screw heads. They
take a PH2 (or PH1 I forget) screwdriver not a PZ driver. No sparky carries
a PH screwdriver.

I have swapped many of these for bog standard but longer M3.5 machine screws
as the back box was too deep to accept the ones that came with the
converter.

As to their real name, I have no idea :-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

Those screws are "Self Tappers" because they come to a sharp point and
will
cut their own hole. Where do the instructions say they should be used?
Does the three gang socket have holes at the ends to fix them back to the
wall? Does the converta have a knock out on the back to fix it to the
existing back box? Doe the converta come with its own back box for
surface
mounting onto an existing sunken back box?

Or, in other words, tell us more about this "Converta" thing you've bought

The four way ones are surface mount.
The connection is to the ring main wires into normal screw terminals.
It screws to the existing back box either single or double.
The actual terminals stick out the back and go into the back box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

BigWallop wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

BW,

They are categorically not self-tappers. The end is far too blunt. No
way could they cut a hole even in a piece of cardboard, let alone a
steel back box.

Not sure exactly what the instructions say in words - but as with so
many modern electrical things, the pair of screws was clipped to the
back of the socket.

The 3 to 2 overhangs a bit at each end (I think I posted 45 and 25 mm L
& R respectively) but there are no additional screws. There is no knock
out. It has a couple of lugs that fit quite neatly just in front of the
holes in a standard double back box. These screws go from just below the
earth holes for two sockets, through the lugs, into the back box.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Yes - noticed that as well. But I did have a full set of all needed
screwdriver types to hand at the time. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Like this
http://www.alertelectrical.com/creat...Ejpg&width=560
?

I see where the screws are meant to go in this picture. The Converta does
not have any type of back box on its own, so the edges are deeper to allow
for the depth of the sockets inside.

I'd go with what Adam (ARWadsworth) has advised, and get a couple of longer
length 3.5mm retainer screws for this job. The screws provided look like
they will damage the lugs on any back box, metal or ABS.

I'd hate to use them on a plasterboard box. They would tear the screw
inserts right out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

BigWallop wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Yep - exactly like that (but obviously it is a triple). :-)

The screws were really good! I'd not replace them. Unlike square cut or
stepped screws, they seemed to locate in the threaded lug of the back
box very easily and without that 'is it going to cross-thread?' feel I
have often noticed with normal screws. The threads, though tapered, are
smooth. I don't think they are likely to cause any damage at all - I'd
have no qualms using them on any box. They locate well, do up easily and
undo just as well.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

snipped

I'd hate to use them on a plasterboard box. They would tear the screw
inserts right out.

Yep - exactly like that (but obviously it is a triple). :-)

The screws were really good! I'd not replace them. Unlike square cut or
stepped screws, they seemed to locate in the threaded lug of the back
box very easily and without that 'is it going to cross-thread?' feel I
have often noticed with normal screws. The threads, though tapered, are
smooth. I don't think they are likely to cause any damage at all - I'd
have no qualms using them on any box. They locate well, do up easily and
undo just as well.

Rod

Mmmm !!!!! I'll have to have a look at them. I did notice the thread was
tight, like a standard 3.5 mm retainer, but thought the screw itself looked
a little to wide.

I will have a look the next time I'm in the wholesaler. I've just found out
from their website that they have these "converta" things in stock. :-)