Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCBOs - the wiggly blue madness!

If you were to fill a large consumer unit with RCBOs, it looks to me
like you'd have trouble fitting all the wires in, let alone connect
the final circuits. Is there a knack to dealing with all the wiggly
blue wires, or a best practice? Alternatively is there a make of CU
that has more room inside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

coughed up some electrons that declared:

If you were to fill a large consumer unit with RCBOs, it looks to me
like you'd have trouble fitting all the wires in, let alone connect
the final circuits. Is there a knack to dealing with all the wiggly
blue wires, or a best practice? Alternatively is there a make of CU
that has more room inside?

I'm in the process of ordering a Hager industrial Type A metal board (like
this:

http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/hager-...d-p-14028.html

But the 20way version
)

It claims to be roomy. It's not an ugly board, but it's not very subtle
either - mine's getting a wiring cupboard built around it anyway.

I'll have mine in a couple of weeks - I can take photos if you can wait that
long.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
If you were to fill a large consumer unit with RCBOs, it looks to me
like you'd have trouble fitting all the wires in, let alone connect
the final circuits. Is there a knack to dealing with all the wiggly
blue wires, or a best practice? Alternatively is there a make of CU
that has more room inside?

I used MEM (now Eaton) Memshield2...

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu2.jpg

Bags of space inside. Very nice consumer units to work with.
Probably not cheap compared with domestic consumer units.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article
,
writes:
If you were to fill a large consumer unit with RCBOs, it looks to me
like you'd have trouble fitting all the wires in, let alone connect
the final circuits. Is there a knack to dealing with all the wiggly
blue wires, or a best practice? Alternatively is there a make of CU
that has more room inside?

I used MEM (now Eaton) Memshield2...

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu2.jpg

Bags of space inside. Very nice consumer units to work with.
Probably not cheap compared with domestic consumer units.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Hi All,

welcome to electrics,

micky

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used MEM (now Eaton) Memshield2...

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu2.jpg

Bags of space inside. Very nice consumer units to work with.
Probably not cheap compared with domestic consumer units.

I liked the way that example had a box before the CU which reduced the
number of wires in the CU. Wd that be OK in a domestic installation so
long as there is (as in your example) no gap between the 2 boxes (and of
course the singles are rated to cope)?
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"neverwas" writes:

I used MEM (now Eaton) Memshield2...

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu2.jpg

Bags of space inside. Very nice consumer units to work with.
Probably not cheap compared with domestic consumer units.

I liked the way that example had a box before the CU which reduced the
number of wires in the CU. Wd that be OK in a domestic installation so
long as there is (as in your example) no gap between the 2 boxes (and of
course the singles are rated to cope)?

That's simply because the wires weren't long enough after
swapping the CU. I wouldn't do that if starting from scratch,
although it's fine from the regulatory point of view.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's simply because the wires weren't long enough after
swapping the CU. I wouldn't do that if starting from scratch,
although it's fine from the regulatory point of view.

Thanks. I asked as I've faced just that situation; and what you had
done seemed to me much neater and more flexible than crimping on bits of
cable.
--
Robin

Mailbox madness HeyBub Home Repair 1 November 2nd 06 01:01 AM
wiggly dadoes? KJ Woodworking 14 August 29th 05 05:14 PM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 10:45 PM